recoil pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read the thread that JesseR started about the hard kicking 30-06 and I have felt his pain. It's funny to think that for me my first exposure to a 30-06 was a Garand. I didn't think that it kicked very much at all...at least compared to a 12 gauge. Fast forward a few years when I bought a Savage 110L in 30-06. The thing kicks like a mule. I was a little more muscled up when I shot the Garand. Maybe that makes a difference. The real reason for the difference in feel is likely the difference in weight between the two rifles. However, I was just curious about what improvised recoil pads we have all used in the past. I'll start:
1. High power rifle competition jacket supports my upper body and reduces felt recoil, but that's definitely not improvised.
2. A folded towel.
3. I haven't used this myself, but I highly regard the man who told me about using a woman's sanitary pad.
What improvised devices have you used to reduce felt recoil?

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During the summer I've used a wrist rest from my computer to shoot my K98. T-shirts just aren't much padding from this metal buttplates.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Past recoil pad that straps to your shoulder when shooting my 06 or other big bore centerfires. It sure helps.
On my SXS, and OU shotgun I use a mercury recoil reducing tube in one of the barrels I'm not shooting, like at the trap range. It takes about %25 of the recoil out.

Here is a pad similar to the Past brand

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0022205221947a.shtml

Latest posts

Top Bottom