Recommend me a ground blind?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even with my Double Bull deer can be very sensitive to it unless you put it out long before you hunt out of it, or you should brush it in well. However if bowhunting Turkeys its the only way to go.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On thing that I've read and found to be true is that if the deer can see the blind (a good one that doesn't shine) from 100 yards away, brushing it in isn't a huge deal as long as the outline is broken up somewhat. If your hunting a thick area and they can't see it until they are on top of you, brushing it in is very critical as it seems to surprise them more.

As far as turkey go, you can just put it up anywhere.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
5 shipping pallets make a pretty good blind that costs next to nothing. not exactly portable but if you know where you may be setting it may be worth your efforts to save the money

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5 shipping pallets make a pretty good blind that costs next to nothing. not exactly portable but if you know where you may be setting it may be worth your efforts to save the money

I've used square bales in the past to make a blind. When season is over, use them for mulch in the garden.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one a couple of years ago at Atwoods. A member here hunted with me, one of the rods broke at the hub on that trip or trip right after. I returned it, they manager said I could another rod from manufacturer in 4-6 weeks. I said that isn't acceptable on a blind that is less than a week old. One of the employees came up and told the manager that he would buy it as defective and get a replacement rod. I got my money back, the store manager agreed to sale it to the employee. After that I purchased a double bull blind. This was 2 years ago, and there was less to choose from then, and a lot of generics that were an inferior product. I had talked to a guy from Chain Ranch and he said they often leave the double bull blinds out for 2-3 weeks at a time and have no issues with wear and tear. He did say they use 24" long stakes drove in the ground instead of the supplied ones to keep it from blowing away when they aren't around. The fabric of the double bull is a little heavier material that doesn't shine or make that flag whip sound when blowing in the wind. When I am considering a purchase of a blind or stand, or building a stand. I do not figure the cost of purchase as a one year investment. I usually plan on it lasting several years, and the cost of purchase divided out over those years usually makes up for the money spent on a product that will last a year or two.
I have looked at a few lately, I have to say there are a few more manufacturers that have stepped up to the plate with a pretty good ground blind.

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I ordered the dark horse blind yestererday hope I'm not dissapponited. I sell small square bales of straw for 3.50 And large round for 25$ for gardens or blind bases. And good blind on top of a round bale on it's side is a perfect way to get some extra height out of your ground blind. This year I might try two bales on top of each other for more height.

Reaction score
Well, the reason that Double Bull blinds (or similar quality, thicker, more expensive ones) are often recommended as worth the extra money is because in the wind, they don't sway around "too much", out of whack with the amount of sway of the trees & grass, which gets the game's attention. Having said that, deer will get used to the cheapie blinds too (Ameristep, etc.) after they've seen them a few times in the wind, so they're fine if you put them out early enough, and/or hide them well with deadfall / brush. Putting one out the day before or "day of", Double Bull all the way. Hide it with deadfall, too, though.

Turkeys don't like ANY movement, and are too dumb to "think" that no movement when the wind is moving the trees, means something's wrong. So a Double Bull or thick one for turkeys always, if you can. IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom