Recommendations for 44 Magnum revolvers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a photographer who does lots of backpacking in the boonies like the SW corner of Yellowstone NP. This past Summer several people were attacked by Grizzlies and that got my attention, big time.

My thinking is to move up from a S&W 357 Magnum to a 44 Magnum just for safety sake. Weight is an issue as I don't want to carry anymore weight than necessary. Length is also an issue and for sure nothing longer than a 4" barrel.

I have never been in a position where I had to use a gun, but if and when I do I want to make sure I have something that will give me the best chance.

Would appreciate any thoughts any of you might have for a purchase of a 44 Magnum.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a photographer who does lots of backpacking in the boonies like the SW corner of Yellowstone NP. This past Summer several people were attacked by Grizzlies and that got my attention, big time.

My thinking is to move up from a S&W 357 Magnum to a 44 Magnum just for safety sake. Weight is an issue as I don't want to carry anymore weight than necessary. Length is also an issue and for sure nothing longer than a 4" barrel.

I have never been in a position where I had to use a gun, but if and when I do I want to make sure I have something that will give me the best chance.

Would appreciate any thoughts any of you might have for a purchase of a 44 Magnum.

This sort of depends on your style of backpacking. If another pound does not matter to you, sure, get a 4" Smith 629 or, better, a snubby Ruger Alaskan. Personally, I am not interested in super light alloy handguns with hot loads.

I usually carry a .357 snubby under those conditions. Definitely not the best thing for big bears, but carry weight matters a lot to me when backpacking. Its the only time I want an allow snubby. Otherwise, I prefer a heavier, all-steel frame.

BTW - you left out the most difficult thing, which is how to carry when backpacking. I like the Safepacker, which is made by "The Wilderness." Access is fairly quick, and I can hang it on any pack I use. Most packs will let you hang it on the waist belt one way or another. When you are in camp, and you take off the pack, you can easily rig a way to carry the Safepacker as you walk around packless.

jej

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Mdl 29 4" 44 mag "mountain gun" a year or so ago. It would be handy to carry on the waist but for Grizzlies it still seems small by comparison. Would a pump shotgun be legal?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Mdl 29 4" 44 mag "mountain gun" a year or so ago. It would be handy to carry on the waist but for Grizzlies it still seems small by comparison. Would a pump shotgun be legal?

OP asked about carry in a National Park. Carry there will be pursuant to the concealed carry laws of the neighboring state. You'd have to research those laws to know the answer. I've not done that. Some states [like AZ], I know, would allow it. OK would not.

However, since he is backpacking, photographing, and worrying about weight, it would not work for him anyway.

jej

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the new Titanium framed 44's that S&W has out. I'm sure there would be a LOT of recoil, but the weight of the gun would be cut down drastically.

I have one of their snubbies in .357 and if you shoot a box of full power loads, you'll feel it the next day, but the weight is next to nothing.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy my Colt Anaconda. Stainless and .44 mag. in 4" barrel.

As poster said above you may want to go bigger cal like the Tauras Raging Bull in .454 or similar.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP asked about carry in a National Park. Carry there will be pursuant to the concealed carry laws of the neighboring state. You'd have to research those laws to know the answer. I've not done that. Some states [like AZ], I know, would allow it. OK would not.

However, since he is backpacking, photographing, and worrying about weight, it would not work for him anyway.

jej

Discussed this issue with the YNP Rangers. They encourage those who have CC license to carry in the park. In fact, one of my friends had an empty holster on his belt and a Ranger saw it and scolded him for not carrying. While I haven't done any research on the adjoining states CC laws, I do know that they all are CC states with reciprocity. Don't carry any other time and keep weapons and ammunition separately locked up, except when in use. You make a really good point and I need to do some further research on this issue.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one thing to consider is can you recover from the kick back in time for a second shot or more, no hand gun (i belive) would nock down a charging bear with one shot, figure in nerves and all and i feel i could get more shots with a 357 then a 44.....

You make a really good point and something that I had never considered. My first thought was a semi-automatic because I thought I could get more shots off in a shorter time. But, I prefer a revolver because of my pre-conceived idea that the revolver is more reliable..

I hesitated to make this post, but am now very glad I did as there has been lots of good points made that I need to consider.

I am pretty bear savvy and in all my years have never had problems. Have had a couple of occasions where we walked right on top of black bear sow with cubs. Also, have been in situation where others simply got to close and scared a black right towards us. So, my thought is that the normal situation will be where one simply slips up on one by accident. That would likely mean closer in than anything one would intentionally do.

I have never fired a 44 Magnum and never considered the difference in "kick back" compared to a 357 Magnum. But, can readily see that a 30 - 40% hotter load would pack a much larger kick back. Before jumping in will definitely do some shooting before I leap.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What age group are you in?

Old guys tend to start leaving handcannons alone.
Young buck could probably handle most of them with some practice.
I used to shoot exclusively 44mag when hunting.
Not so much anymore.

Also welcome to OSA.
Be sure to check back for when others post additional info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom