Recommendations for 44 Magnum revolvers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl333

Marksman
Reaction score
I have told a good bear spray works wonders. Now, I have never met a cute cuddly Grizzly face to face so I can't tell you if that will be good advice or not. From everything I've read, a couple of shots will get'em very pissed off at you!!!

For a sidearm I'd recommand a Ruger Alaskan 44 Mag. Very solid and accurate gun.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have told a good bear spray works wonders. Now, I have never met a cute cuddly Grizzly face to face so I can't tell you if that will be good advice or not. From everything I've read, a couple of shots will get'em very pissed off at you!!!

For a sidearm I'd recommand a Ruger Alaskan 44 Mag. Very solid and accurate gun.

Ok, on the bear spray. Never leave the comfort of a vehicle without the bear stray strapped on my hip. Always carry it with the safety off and ready to go. Again, never had to use it.

Also, have talked this over with YNP rangers. Several schools of thought. Don't count on it being effective. It might work on wilderness bears, but less likely to work on road bears. You might just make that grizzly madder than he/she already is. And, be careful about spraying into a still wind :lmfao:

While I carry it, I don't it to be my one and only defense.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always have a Mag-na-port done to it that should help with recoil. Also check out the buffalo bore
Lower Recoil .44 Magnum Ammo. It still has over 1k ft/lb of energy. I know you said wheel gun but the desert eagle with A muzzle break has less kick. On downside it does not cycle some ammo (ex glaser).

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always have a Mag-na-port done to it that should help with recoil. Also check out the buffalo bore
Lower Recoil .44 Magnum Ammo. It still has over 1k ft/lb of energy. I know you said wheel gun but the desert eagle with A muzzle break has less kick. On downside it does not cycle some ammo (ex glaser).

Magna port would sure help with recoil. It also increases the noise that the shooter hears. I would not want a ported .44 magnum going off anywhere near me without some serious hearing protection - which is not practical for anything like the planned use.

In round figures, we are talking double the muzzle energy in a .44 magnum compared to a .357 magnum, so its double the recoil, too.

jej

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magna port would sure help with recoil. It also increases the noise that the shooter hears. I would not want a ported .44 magnum going off anywhere near me without some serious hearing protection - which is not practical for anything like the planned use.

In round figures, we are talking double the muzzle energy in a .44 magnum compared to a .357 magnum, so its double the recoil, too.

jej

Ya I forgot about sound issue but maybe it would scare the bear. Ha. But better to be deaf than raped by a bear. Might get flamed for this(bb) but I know a girl that can handle the DE that has muzzle break easy

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

jej

I seriously doubt that if a grizzly bear is charging you, and you fire a ported .44 magnum, that you'd even hear it go off. You may feel it later, but not having large portions of your body missing would be a good trade.

Of course there are devices out there that help you hear things creeping thru the woods, but also act like hearing protection when something loud goes off near you. Whether it be a gun shot, or your own screams. :D

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that if a grizzly bear is charging you, and you fire a ported .44 magnum, that you'd even hear it go off. You may feel it later, but not having large portions of your body missing would be a good trade.

Of course there are devices out there that help you hear things creeping thru the woods, but also act like hearing protection when something loud goes off near you. Whether it be a gun shot, or your own screams. :D

You are right, you won't hear or feel much of anything. You can do permanent hearing damage. For that reason, I do not like porting on any handgun meant for defensive use. If you have to shoot in an enclosed space, you can really mess yourself up. The flash is a problem, too. If these things do not concern you, porting is a fine way to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

The high tech hearing devices you mention are fine for hunters. Not so much for backpacking and like that. You would not want to wear them all day every day on a backpack/photography trip.

jej

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to put jingle bells on your boots! :pms2:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v478_fortran_thesis_Cartoons_Bear_Sign.jpg

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at the Smith and Wesson Emergency Survival Kits. I think they are available in 44 Magnum, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum.

awww.worldwidefirearmscatalogue.com_img_eventi_armi3_6.jpg

You hold them in one hand, shove them down the Bear's throat and pull the trigger.:gun2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do what ever you want to do as far as a hand gun goes.
Hunters know that unless you get a shot into the brain or spinal area, the bears can still attack and do much damage before expiring.
Recent reports and tests have shown that Bear Spray is the best defense. The above funny posts are funny.
I would certainly have a large cal pistol handy if the bear recovered before you could get out of the area.

Think about it........If a Griz is coming at you faster than a horse can run, and your stated inexperience with a handgun, do you think you could draw from some backpack area and hit one coming at you.......Probably not. They would be on you within a second or two from 40 yards away. Current laws in the areas allow one to carry a gun but not on the hip.
With the bear spray that one can carry on the hip, you put up a wall of spray that will stop a bear long before a bullet will if the bullet is not put into a precise area.

Do what you want to do, but this is my advise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom