Recommendations for a new push mower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a new Craftsman from Sears a few years ago after my used one kicked the bucket. It was under $200, push, bag, mulch, just like your wanting. Big wheels in the rear and small up front. Prob had it for about 5 years now and no problems. I use 100% gas, don't winterize it, keep it in the shed, washed it once, starts everytime. I'll see if I can find a link but the price may be different now.

Same experience here. Had good luck with two Craftsman push mowers.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most importantly, get non ethanol gas and always use fresh gas. (Gas bought in this mowing season) Check oil before starting each mowing session and blow the air filter out once a month. (Also after the first mowing of the season)

At the end of season, I always make sure I run it with treated gas (Stabil or similar) and try to leave the tank as low as possible. If the carb starts leaking gas by, you will end up diluting the oil with gas as it sits during the off season. (Waiting on the guys to tell me that the gas should never get in the oil, but I assure you anybody with lots of small motor experience will tell you it happens.)

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
toro, the pro version, it will bust your budget but is one solid machine. i've had one for 7 years now, one of the personal pace models, you can't get these a lowes or home depot. guaranteed to start on the 2nd pull for 5 years, at 7 it still starts by the second pull. best mower i've ever had

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to replace my push mower a couple years ago. I picked up a Troy-Bilt bagger/mulcher from Lowes. I got the high rear wheel version with the Honda engine. No self propelled for me, I don't like them. I've been really impressed with the Honda engine. It starts easy, runs strong, and seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Do not buy Craftsman mowers any more! Sears is on the verge of bankruptcy and parts may soon become hard to find. While everyone knows that Sears doesn't actually built their craftsman equipment, what many don't know is that these machines are built to Sears' own specs making some parts totally proprietary.

My honest opinion, as a certified small engine mechanic, it to buy major brand-name equipment only. It doesn't matter where you get it, so just shop around.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will agree with the posts about a mower with a Honda engine, I bought one in 1988 and it started the first pull every spring and I finally gave it away to my son still running well after Hudiburg "gave" me a new Honda however for buying a new Toyota.
Incidentally, if you hit a solid object like pipe in the ground and bend the crankshaft on your mower you can fix it yourself. Take the spark plug out, use a broom handle or something similar a pipe etc, flip your mower on end, take off the blade and all the crap to include the key and use the pipe as a straight edge and pull the rope and watch the crankshaft. When in gets to the high "up position" rap it hard with a heavy sledge hammer and then pull the rope again to high end and see if it's still off. If it is, hit it until it pulls easily and has little wobble. I used to work repairing small engines and that's what we did. i once found a mower thrown away that had the shaft bent so badly that the shaft was stuck and I "fixed" the mower and it ran until I gave it away. They'll still have a little vibration but are serviceable.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mower looks good, One thing I found about a lot of them is the blades SUCK. They have what is supposed to be a high lift blade and it does a curve half way down and they just don't work very well. A friend had a mower with that kind of blade and it was just a pain to deal with. Went and picked up one of the "Gator" blades and it cut like a dream after that. And BTW I believe this is what the cub cadet mowers use as an OEM blade which is why they cut so well.

Gator blade
detail_oep_G6.jpg

Most OEM style blades
95-041_0.jpg

Funny talking about mowers however. Overheard someone on the CB last year talking about spending five or six thousand on a new riding mower. Told them for that much I would get an old pickup and build my own. All I would need is a hydraulic pump and some blades. If I spend that much money on a mower I may as well be able to listen to some music and have AC while I mow. For that matter the neighbourhood kids would probably pay me to mow my yard.....

Speaking of, I have and old power chair that needs some replacement batteries.... I bet I could wire up something to make a radio control mower pretty easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom