Red dot or reflex sights: what's the difference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please forgive me of my ignorance, but I'm about to buy my very first optic for a Ruger 10/22 and I am clueless as **** as to what I need/want.

What is the main difference betwixt a red dot sight, such as the Bushnell TRS-25...

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_91aSmnLKqbL._SL1500_.jpg

And say the Sightmark reflex?

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_616u3LSpZJL._SL1500_.jpg

Somebody school me before I drop coin for something! :pissed:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just made a deal to buy a Bushnell trs25 from a member here. I read good things about it for the price. Amazon has them for $79 and free prime shipping.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy the Bushnell or even better check out Primary Arms knockoff of the Aimpoint. It's pretty decent for an optic you aren't betting your life on. I have one that I've had for two years and while it sees somewhat limited use (once a month) it holds zero and I've never been able to not see the dot. I don't know what else I can ask for.

Primary Arms sight here.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no experience with the sightmark, but the TRS is a great little sight for the money. I have one on my m&p 15-22 and love it. Used one on an AK for awhile before upgrading to an aimpoint.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used both and like both. They will both work great on a 10/22.

Like ripnbst said, I also bought the Primary Arms. I used it on my SR22 rifle and put it on one of the ARs for a bit. It is very tough and worked great.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primary Arms carries the Halo Sun model now for $169 that as the battery life and stats of an aimpoint. That's what I am recommending to friends on a budget at the moment

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would strongly suggest looking into the Vortex Strikefire II, new Spitfire, or the Sparc II. Lifetime warranty, no screwing around if you have an issue with the optic, etc. And Pricing will not be that much more than the bushy or other 'sub standard' dots. With Vortex you get the mounts AND flip caps et al with your purchase. things to consider as you look at the pics above and what's going to last or not

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/red_dots

May not be Aimpoint or EoTech, but far better overall than the Bushy……..which isn't bad, just not going to hold up over time, specifically the lenses.

IF not a Red Dot or Burris FFIII……….then i'd consider a 2.5-10x scope, or 1-4x or 2-7

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After heavily over paying for my Sightmark red dot sight and 3x magnifier, I would steer pretty much anyone I know away from buying sightmark. Mine eats batteries like a kid eats cheerios. Besides that, the adjustment of the red dot itself is a pretty miserable affair. Just putting that out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom