Reloading 6ppc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mholloway79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has any experience reloading for a 6ppc. I am looking to see if anyone has any fire-forming tricks and tips they might be willing to share. I am starting with Russian 220 brass, its a .262 neck so the necks must be turned. I have the basics of what is req'd and know whats involved, just would like to hear a successful process before I start.

Thx for anyone's help.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have reloaded for the 6 PPC for years. No different than any other round...

Run the 220 brass into your size die enough to bump the shoulder back enough to allow the round to chamber with some resistance. The amount of resistance depends on the action...

I always cut the complete neck off of a round, bump the shoulder back enough for chambering, size all brass accordingly and turn the case necks back enough to lightly touch the shoulder...

I coat the cases lightly with Imperial Sizing Wax when I get ready to fire-form them. This allows the case to slip in the chamber and keeps headspace to an absolute minimum. Properly formed cases should last for over 20 firings...

Make sure your case necks are turned to the correct diameter, as well as trimming the cases to the correct length - according to your chambers dimensions...

OR - You can just purchase fully formed brass and save time in the process....

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 22 russian case can be fireformed in the 6PPC chamber. I would start by trimming the russian case to 1.495, that's .005 longer than the
6PPC case then load a small charge of a pistol powder, like unique or red dot, maybe 4-5 grains then fill the remaining space with
cream of wheat then plug the mouth with a thin wax plug, takeem to the range to fireform.
A word of caution here: DO NOT leave them loaded with the COW for more than a day or two as the COW will become a solid.
I would take primed cases along with along with a lee dipper for the proper amount of the powder of choice and the COW
to the range and load there, I fireformed 30-30 into 7-30 waters years ago with the above system but I used 10 grains
of red dot, I don't think I would try it with that much in the small russian case.
After there fireformed trim to 6PPC length then load 1 ONE dummy round with the bullet you intend to use and check neck diameter
to see how much needs to be taken off, it needs to be less than .262 with a bullet seated, use and outside neck turning
tool not an inside neck reamer. .261 should work very well, use a good 0-1" micrometer not calipers for this work.
After you have determand how much needs to be removed full length size all cases, trim to length, deburr, then do the neck turning.
I shoot a 6MM BR with a .262 neck so I have to turn the Laupa brass that I use.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful when working your cases up, I have seen chamber reamers that are designed to cut the neck area of the chamber so that you don't have to turn the necks on your formed brass. I'm not in favor of that system, in my opinion, once a dimension has been established, everyone should adhere to it.. less chance of a problem later with different brass.

mholloway79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thx for the help, I used the cream of wheat method with unique. The cases formed perfect...I am curious about what you are using to turn the neck? I have a K&M neck turner but am worried that the turns are not concentric. I ended up sizing them down to .224 to turn because of the shoulder clearance in the chamber. My first I sized to .243 after it was formed to measure the wall thickness but it expanded the shoulder and wouldn't fit into the chamber. Now i have some loaded and gonna try them out next weekend if the weather is fair. Has fire forming after the neck is turned ever been tried? It looks like it could be successful.

Calamity, What is your game for your 6mm BR? 100/200?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 1 year of retirement my 6PPC is broke: http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...on-6group-30round-shootout-2.html#post2905411

It should be shooting bug-holes - but it doesn't :mad: Either I should've not cleaned it, or she just doesn't like the new lot of Bergers.

I use Norma brass. I do own forming dies for 7.62x39 - but it's just so much work.

I use 21st Century neck turner.

My 6PPC is strictly 100yard fun gun. I do shoot 6BR, 6BRX and 6SLR in F-Class :)

mholloway79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my gun was shooting well, before my brass went south (yes Lapua brass went south), it shot Berger's decent. There was alot of variance between lots so when you buy, buy in bulk. I would bet that the gun just does not like the bullets and rule out the cleaning. If you want good marks try some of the custom bullets, I now use Euber 68 gr HPFB and they preform wonderful, just a little hard to find.

I will look into the 21st Century neck turner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom