Remington 1903 sporterized value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking at a Remington 1903 serial number 3xx,xxx sporterized. Was curious about value. Stock seems to be original, just cut down, free floated. Has peep sights, not drilled or tapped for scope mounts . Guy is asking $300. Is it worth it?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's a Remington, the S/N should be at least 3M, not 300,000. It doesn't really matter if the stock is original - once it's been cut down and modified, its value pretty much goes out the window. Considering that an intact Remington-produced M1903 which has gone through the arsenal process usually fetches $700+, the asking price of $300 seems decent. Assuming the rifle is in good, complete condition (minus the stock and rear sight) with a nice bore, of course.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the rifle a 1903 or 190A3? Both have serial numbers in the 3,xxx,xxx range.

If the barrel has not been cut I would say that $300 - $350 would be a fair price if the overall condition is good. The receiver has likely been drilled and tapped for the rear peep sight so that does affect the value if you plan to restore it back to a military configuration. If the rifle happens to be an 03A3, make sure that the rear sight dovetail has not been cut or ground off. If the rifle has Lyman or Redfield sights installed I would just put it back in a original stock and use it as a shooter. Below is the high number Rock Island that I purchased a few years back for $400 that had been given the repro-National Match treatment with a Keystone C stock, Unertl scope mounts, Lyman sights, and Timney trigger.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3m serial. Typo on my part. Barrel not cut, it is an 03A3 with peep sight.

The 1903A3 has a rear "peep" sight. Is it the standard sight or a commercial sight like Lyman, Redfield, or Marbles? If the sights are original it sounds like you could easily restore the rifle to a military configuration with a replacement stock and hardware for around $200 or less.

Standard 03A3 rear sight:

Commercial sight:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bottom line: the more it's modified the further away it is from its original $700 value.

Also make sure that it wasn't a de-milled/parade rifle - those like to go ka-boom.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright got a good look at it today. I was mistaken about it being an 03A3, that was another one he had. It's a 1903, commercial peep sight, no dovetail present on barrel for original sight. Barrel date is 12 42.

It does appear to be a well done sporterization, nice trigger and well done stock. I'm gonna pass since restoring would be out of the question.

I appreciate the info from everyone and have learned more in this thread in a few hours than I've learned in a few days using google. Will give me better knowledge next time is see something in a take it or leave it situation.

Thanks again guys!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom