Remington 760 Scope mounting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danwm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just purchased a Remington 760 30/06 and I am having trouble finding a scope mount that lets me set the scope where I need it . The rings that came with the gun won't let the scope move back enough for me to get the full view. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to use and where to buy them. The scope is a PENTAX 4x12x50. Thanks

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the rings hitting the turrets? the scope bell hitting the rear sight? what brand mount and rings?
Do you have them on facing the right direction?
If you had a picture would really help.
you needing seethru or low profile?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scope has a 50mm objective and what appears (from Google pics) to be a short tube. I'd bet it's hitting the rear of the front bell with the front ring.

Just as a side note, you may want to be sure the length of pull is correct for you. You may need to shorten the stock, not move the scope back.

Danwm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scope has a 50mm objective and what appears (from Google pics) to be a short tube. I'd bet it's hitting the rear of the front bell with the front ring.

Just as a side note, you may want to be sure the length of pull is correct for you. You may need to shorten the stock, not move the scope back.

True, the scope has 50mm objective but the rear ring is hitting the turret. The scope is 14 3/4 " long
and is mounted on see through Weaver Ring's. The rings are drilled to match the Remington hole pattern. The pull is perfect so don't want to cut the stock off. Thanks for your time.

Danwm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the rings hitting the turrets? the scope bell hitting the rear sight? what brand mount and rings?
Do you have them on facing the right direction?
If you had a picture would really help.
you needing seethru or low profile?

The rear ring is hitting the turret and the rings are facing the right direction. The objective bell is not hitting the rear sight but if I move any farther back it will be. The rings are Weaver see thru about 15/16" high. They are drilled to match the factory scope mounting holes.

Danwm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one in .270, congrats on the purchase. Have you looked here? http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

I have looked at Numrich and they show about the same thing as every body else. It looks like I am going to have to use a picatinny rail and see thru mounts to be able to get the scope far enough back to work for me. Thanks for the info.
I have never had a scope before so this is all new to me. I am 70 years old and had a stroke 1 1/2 years ago so now I don't see as well as I did. I still love to hunt and still get around well and the pigs are a callin.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Respectfully, If You have the weaver rings, which bolt directly to the receiver, there isn't a Left or right side or a front or rear, either ring can be turned in either direction. Personally, I don't like see throughs. They are not as stable as lower mounts, but my main objection to them is, that I have seen some Nasty cuts caused by them. The shooter in trying to use the iron sight, crawls the stock. and the lower half circle of the rear bell, leaves a real nice cut and bruise, which bleeds like heck. For the rest of the day, it's hard to get real interested in hunting,with your shooting eye bloody and swollen shut. For the record, I am 70 also, but truthfully have had a lot of expereince with scopes, particularly, mounting them. Over the last few years, scopes have gotten shorter, and the bells have gotten larger and longer. This makes for some difficult situations. Some scopes are not very adaptable to some rifles. Ideally a scope should be positioned as far forward as is comfortable with the clothes, you'll be wearing when using it. Of course shooting position is also important. Sorry to go off chasing rabbits. Brownells. com or toll free 1-800-741-0015. cat. no. 65, pages 257- 260 has weaver products which should solve your problem. If not, Ask to speak to a tech at the same toll free no. They have had some pretty good gunsmiths working there, including Reid Coffield, at one time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom