Remington Pump 760 Accidental Discharge - Recurrent!!!!! Design problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jre308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Remington 760 pump action 30-06. It will accidentally fire when has a live round is in the chamber and the magazine is reinserted into the receiver. It happens about 1 out of every 20 times. The pump action works fine. You can load a round from the magazine, and it works fine. The problem happens only when reinserting the magazine. Completely unsafe. Has been sitting in the gun safe for years. It has sentimental value. Would like to find a way to repair. Think it was made sometime in the late 1960's our early 1970's. Sent it back to Remington one year ago and they said the firearm is obsolete and would not repair. Obviously Remington has been having accidental discharge issues with their bolt action rifles. I am disappointed with their service and repair. They offered to sell me a new gun at cost about $500. Would like to have it be a safe functional deer rifle again, any suggestions?

jre308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somehow the weapons fires a round 1 out of 20 Times. You can also cycle the action when this occurs. The rifle will function just like you pulled the trigger. However, you do not really hear the trigger and firing pin sound that normally occurs when you pull the trigger. I am not completely sure what part is the problem. I was hoping someone else might have had the same problem and could give me the solution.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a theory but could be the disconnector. There are some model of shotguns that will fire if the trigger is held down and the action worked, thus slam firing if you will.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a theory but could be the disconnector. There are some model of shotguns that will fire if the trigger is held down and the action worked, thus slam firing if you will.
Thats where I would start. A good complete disassembly of the fire control group and cleaning.The fire control is very similar to an 870/1100. They can be assembled incorrectly disabling the disconnector.
Always make sure safety is on when operating action for initial loading.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats where I would start. A good complete disassembly of the fire control group and cleaning.The fire control is very similar to an 870/1100. They can be assembled incorrectly disabling the disconnector.
Always make sure safety is on when operating action for initial loading.

That sounds like a good idea to me. We have a very good gunsmith on here, goes by honeybee aka Don Franson.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some simple things to look at or try.
1. make sure gun is unloaded.
2. cock gun.
3. pull trigger to dry fire, while holding trigger back, work action , if it doesn't lock on closing. connector arm not in right position.
4. release trigger,try to fire gun.
If won't fire, slide lock and disconnector are disengaged.
this is dangerous but probably an easy fix.
if it was a semi auto you would get either a single shot or an uncontrollable mag dump(full auto)
the problem is that the connector arm which is connected to the trigger is under the slide lock instead of on top of it.
this is a common reassembly mistake.

If you can't find a youtube video showing proper alignment. take it to a Remington qualifed gunsmith. not all gunsmiths know the ins and outs of remington fire controls.

Always operate action with safety on unless your making a follow up shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom