Repeal the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tgillespie

Title 18 USC 922(q) "The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act" is a law currently in effect that makes it a federal felony for any individual to possess a functional firearm within 1000 feet of any school's property line unless they have a CCW permit physically issued by the state in which the school is located.

The law (currently in effect) causes the following problems:

1. Oklahoma CCW permit holders can't currently travel outside of Oklahoma without risking federal felony arrest. ATF has made it very clear that reciprocity agreements don't satisfy the federal law.

2. It is currently illegal for an Oklahoma CCW permit holder to discharge a firearm within the "gun free zone" under ANY circumstances. (Even in Oklahoma)

3. Off-duty law enforcement officers are currently subject to federal arrest if they carry within the gun free school zones.

Again, the "gun free zone" is 1000 feet from any school's property line. It is impossible to drive any reasonable distance in any developed area without entering many school zones.

Sign OK2A's petition urging Senator Coburn to start legislation to repeal the GFSZA: http://ok2a.org/gfsza-petition

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. It is currently illegal for an Oklahoma CCW permit holder to discharge a firearm within the "gun free zone" under ANY circumstances. (Even in Oklahoma)

If a home owner defends himself and his family inside his home (within 1000 feet of a school) with a firearm you're saying that regardless of the circumstances the FEDS can step in and arrest you...

Please Cite... I have difficulty believing there is no exemption for self defense. Even the FEDS can't be that messed up.

T

tgillespie

If a home owner defends himself and his family inside his home (within 1000 feet of a school) with a firearm you're saying that regardless of the circumstances the FEDS can step in and arrest you...

Please Cite... I have difficulty believing there is no exemption for self defense. Even the FEDS can't be that messed up.

The school zones only apply to public property (sidewalks, roads, parks, fairgrounds etc) so the homeowner is safe. A carjacking victim stopped at a red light would be subject to federal arrest.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3. Off-duty law enforcement officers are currently subject to federal arrest if they carry within the gun free school zones.

I need to familiarize myself with the definition of "on-duty" because at our daughter's open house a few months ago there was a guy with a gun on his hip and a badge hanging off the opposite side of his belt. He was wearing khakis and a tucked in polo with no department name or logo.

Thanks for the heads up on this, though.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Signed.

Newt Gingrich, thanks for nothing you P.O.S., for giving us this turd of a law. I hope you get mugged in one of the tens of thousands of self defense free zones you helped to create across this country.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
week before last a lady got robbed at gunpoint at Lanier elementary in Tulsa while she was waiting to pick up her kid. criminals are figuring out its a good place to work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom