Revolver; Antique, or viable 21st Century weapon!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up learning to shoot a single shot, drop block .22 short rifle, that required a pocket knife to pop the shell out. I absolutely made me a better shot today, because I couldn't just fire again. I know many people will think an auto is better and are right for different applications, but learning on that little rifle, taught me all sorts of stuff about hunting and shooting. So I say a revo is a great tool, both have their place, but a revo will teach you to hit what you aim at. Not the best for fire suppression, but neither is an auto unless it is belt fed.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, for an able bodied male:
Light CCW: A small revolver is the perfect pocket gun.
Heavy CCW: Cannot top a mid-size autoloader.
Hunting without pigs: Unbeatable big-bore pistols, but the break-open pistols tread into this territory too.
Hunting in pig territory: Hard to top a hi-cap 6" 10mm, especially if you've just been treed by a sounder of pigs.
SHTF: As far as I can tell, great up until they get a hard whack on the cylinder. If cared for, will last longer than an autoloader.
Target shooting: Fun!

Moral of the story: Revolvers are bad and you should just give them to me for proper disposal.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, FWIW... I'll give my $.02.

I'm a small framed guy, but I still carry my Govt. sized Nighthawk (5") on my hip under a button down shirt, and I can conceal it very well, and because it's on my hip, it's easily accessable and very comfortable to wear all day.

However, I still continue to carry my Smith 638 on my ankle too. Why?

Say you and Billy Bad Guy end up on the ground, and he's on top of you trying to do his thing... I could stick my 1911 in his gut and pull the trigger, and I'll get that first shot off, but if he manages to hold onto the slide, or the front sight gets caught in his clothing... then that one shot was my last shot. With a revolver, all five shots are going to hit their mark.

I know it's a grim scenario... but it's realistic.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have and love both types of handguns for recreation and ccw. I spent most of my life carrying heavy objects every day so weight is never what I consider in choosing a handgun. Grip size is the main concern for me since I have smaller hands than most. The second best thing about the revolver is not having to look for the brass when target shooting. Maybe stuck a little in my own ways but I still can't get excited about plastic pistols. Simply my opinion, which still won't buy a cup of coffee.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The second best thing about the revolver is not having to look for the brass when target shooting.

It sure is pleasant. Sometimes I bring only revolvers to the range when it's time for wheelgun practice. Finish shooting, then just stroll off with a grin, fired brass jingling in the gear bag.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of S&W revolvers and feel their reliability and simplistic manual of arms is a plus for anyone in a high stress situation. Due to the way I'm physically built (quite bony); even after trying several different holsters, I've found a thin semi-auto seems to carry far more comfortably for me. A Colt Officers model .45 was my daily carry, but I've gone to a 3913NL for weight savings. I have more trust in a revolver, but from a comfort stand point; I'm more apt to have a semi-auto with me and leave my J frames locked in the vault...(If only I was a little more "squishy")
What's that old saying?...Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

But there is always a revolver or two or three, etc. in my range bag on any shooting trip! :)

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im going to have to say that the revolver is an antique. Reason? Well as Traxxis was saying you will only get one round off with an auto. Maybe. But if Billy bad guy is smart enough to grab your slide he can also put his hand around your cylinder and then you arent going to get anything off. And all things being equal a semi auto will reload much faster than a revolver. And one other thing. If you ever have a malfinction of a serious nature in a revo you are out of luck. I had my (first duty gun) S&W 681 partially pull a primer on the hammer. Had to take it back to the armorer just to get it open. Then it was out for another week to get fixed. Got a Glock and never looked back. But just my two cents.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im going to have to say that the revolver is an antique. Reason? Well as Traxxis was saying you will only get one round off with an auto. Maybe. But if Billy bad guy is smart enough to grab your slide he can also put his hand around your cylinder and then you arent going to get anything off. And all things being equal a semi auto will reload much faster than a revolver. And one other thing. If you ever have a malfinction of a serious nature in a revo you are out of luck. I had my (first duty gun) S&W 681 partially pull a primer on the hammer. Had to take it back to the armorer just to get it open. Then it was out for another week to get fixed. Got a Glock and never looked back. But just my two cents.

Dammit GC. :grumble: I figured an old dawg like you would be a wheelgun guy first and last. :ugh2:

I'm very disappointed in you. I thought you was one of us. :tounge:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alright, a little eye candy to keep the wheels greased!!!! 624 Lew Horton!!!! El Paso Tortillia, HKS speedloader, TuffProducts speed strips, Cold Steel Axis.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1883.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1884.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1885.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1890.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1890.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1892.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom