Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the 18" as it most resembles my JP. I bought Olyellers overpriced, used Millet DMS-1 to set on top. I had a DPMS lower with an ACE stock and JP trigger in the safe. It feels just like my competition gun. I need to weigh it to see how much it differs.

Sounds fun.

I can't decide which AR to try. I'm using irons on my 11.5", but I just put together an 18" gun w/ Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5x on top. Nice scope, not quite as heavy as the Millett.

Keep in mind I have no idea how either gun hits at 300 yds. - my range only goes out to 200. I feel like I'm in for a surprise on the 'long' stage. What's the typical zero you guys use? 50/200? Something else? It's not like I'm planning on winning, just getting my feet (er...toes) wet.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For irons I run a 300 used zero. Optics are a whole other story. The burris needs to have a 100 yard zero for the dot. The Meopta technically likes the 200yard zero so you can use top of dot at 100, bottom at 300 and top of post at 400. Trick is to zero for reference marks that won't confuse you under pressure.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds fun.

I can't decide which AR to try. I'm using irons on my 11.5", but I just put together an 18" gun w/ Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5x on top. Nice scope, not quite as heavy as the Millett.

Keep in mind I have no idea how either gun hits at 300 yds. - my range only goes out to 200. I feel like I'm in for a surprise on the 'long' stage. What's the typical zero you guys use? 50/200? Something else? It's not like I'm planning on winning, just getting my feet (er...toes) wet.

i would go out to thunderbird range, it goes out to 400 and it is about 10 to 15 mins away from norman..

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As per my local Red Neck Tactical instructor I use a 300 yard zero on my Trijicon TR24. This puts me on at 25-27 which also happens to be the range that most of Mike's trickly little no shoot targets with clay pigeons stuck inside of them. So I don't have to hold over on those up close. I do have to remember to aim at the top of the head on 5 yard head shots with no shoots targets due to sight offset( this little lapse of communication between brain and trigger finger cost me the match last time around).
The thing I like most about the 300 yard is that it not only is only 4-6" high between 100-200 it is also only ~12-14" low at 415-425. So with the typical match where a 400 yard MGM flash target is about as far as you go I can hold at the top or just a little above the 15" tall target and hit it. If you run a 200 yard zero and don't have a ballistic reticle you are holding over in the 20+" range and are aiming at the trees or bushes in the background.

If you are just shooti g this local match were 300 is our max and you only have 200 yards to zero on go with a 200 yard zero.

Chris Andersen kicked all our asses at the last match with his 200 yard zero on the LR stage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom