Rifle question, If I could only buy one, opinions please....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a gas gun I would probably go with a 260. It recoils less than a 308 and has better ballistics. With proper loads it will handle elk just fine if you wanted to.

In a bolt action again I would go 260. Savage also makes a 260 and a 6.5 Creedmoor in their model 10. You are restricted to Hornady ammo in the Creed though.

The 243 is fine but it does burn barrels out. Yes you can shoot light or heavy bullets in them but mind the twist because it may not stabilize the heavies.

Keep in mind also, it usually takes more practice to shoot a gas gun consistently accurately than a bolt.

Basically anything shooting 6.5mm or 0.264 in a short action will have great ballistics and light recoil.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm from southern Leflore County and lived in Broken Bow for ten years after finishing college. I have lived in SW Oklahoma for the past 30+ years and still deer hunt mostly back in my home area, but I do deer hunt around here in SW Oklahoma sometimes. I love calling coyotes and now that deer season is over I hope to hunt coyotes at least three times a week. For your rifle question I vote for a .243. I reload and own a .243, 6mm, and a .243 WSSM- I'm checking scopes tomorrow at the range on the .243 and .243 WSSM, but I'm pretty sure the 6mm is still on because I checked it before deer season. I carried the 6mm nearly everyday during deer season, although I have two good .308 rifles. I call the 6mm (it uses a .243 bullet) "the workhorse" because I always go back to it. Great thing about .243 is you can get ammo anywhere they sell it and if you can't find lighter bullets for predator hunting the 100 grainers will do just fine.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the .243. But it can become a little finicky with different weight bullets vs twist.

A 1-12 will shoot .55 grain for varmints just fine, but a 1-10 will give a group the size of a football with the same bullet.

Its kind of interesting though, bullet shape and construction, and not just weight, are determining factors. That being said, overall the 1-10 with the bullets from 80-100 grain will take anything. I wouldn't want to use one on a charging grizz, but it will kill one.

My Fav though is the 30-06. You can load anything from 90-220 grains with so many bullet configurations. Reloading can produce every thing from plinking rounds to Grizz rounds.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the three guns in the original post....I was trying to explain my background. I also have a Win 30-30, Marlin lever .22 and a few others. They sit in the safe and never get used. I am trying to find a rifle that I can shoot long range, hunt with, and IS FUN TO SHOOT, that doesn't recoil. I love the .223, FUN to shoot and accurate. Was really looking at the 6.5 but don't know anyone who has one. Wonder how much the ammo costs, etc. Effects on deer. Where to obtain. Just wanting some opinions....

Now see, This, is why I decided to go with the PSE, low recoil, Fun to shoot, accurate as You can be, ( quiet..8)
Ammo is readily available, 100 gr rage hypodermic on a 28 1/2", 350 spine, lumi-noc ( its like a tracer) and mostly re-usable.
Full crank 70#..312ish fps, Deadly for elk at 50 yards , more if you work with it...oh an FUN to SHOOT
Good Luck with your search... 8)

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now see, This, is why I decided to go with the PSE, low recoil, Fun to shoot, accurate as You can be, ( quiet..8)
Ammo is readily available, 100 gr rage hypodermic on a 28 1/2", 350 spine, lumi-noc ( its like a tracer) and mostly re-usable.
Full crank 70#..312ish fps, Deadly for elk at 50 yards , more if you work with it...oh an FUN to SHOOT
Good Luck with your search... 8)

Raise you a Mathews :)

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223 is what my son has killed a lot of deer in Okla. He has also used 30.06.

I'm not a hunter, but shoot an AR in .223 and have fun shootin.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .243 caliber rifles are first in my mind, but the .22-250 is first in my heart. Versatile as heckif you reload, and still pretty good for everything up to and including Oklahoma whitetails with the factory 55 grain loads. My '69 vintage 700 BDL in .22-250 is my favorite rifle, but I'm getting aquainted now with a Ruger American .22-250. The older .22-250 rifles had 1 in 14 barrels, but the newer ones are 1 in 10. I sighted the Ruger American in with 55 grain loads, but I'm going to try some 60 and 70 grain loads.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom