Ruger Mark III Jamming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost but searching for Mark III always gives me an error.

Anyone else have trouble with their Mk III jamming? I can't even get 5 shots off before it jams so bad the bullet is bent. I've seen several different reasons for it out on the Internet. It has done this from Day 1 out of the box. Any known fixes? Ruger is playing dumb on the issue. I don't believe I'm the only person who has ever complained about it since there's so much on the Internet about it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost but searching for Mark III always gives me an error.

Anyone else have trouble with their Mk III jamming? I can't even get 5 shots off before it jams so bad the bullet is bent. I've seen several different reasons for it out on the Internet. It has done this from Day 1 out of the box. Any known fixes? Ruger is playing dumb on the issue. I don't believe I'm the only person who has ever complained about it since there's so much on the Internet about it.

Which model? What ammo (this one's important)? Does it do it with every mag or just one or two? How many rounds through the gun? How old is it?

I hate to think you're limp-wristing a .22lr, so I doubt that's it. Is the gun clean?

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's CRAZY... Brand new out of the box and it jams....... I would have sent it back long ago, they should easily remedy the problem I can see Ruger shining you on..

I don't have experience with the Mark III but have plenty with my II and its jammed maybe a handful of times with thousands of flawless rounds , my gun will eat anything, cci, fed, rem, don't matter and its not picky..

Call Ruger and tell them to fix it, then make sure you keep us all informed as I'm sure there are those out there on the fence ready to buy one and may not if Ruger's Customer Service is shoddy..

I'm sure you've checked the ramp and the mags already, send it back!!

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to hear that. I know how an experience like that can ruin a gun for you. I had to send my s&w 28-2 back to them to get fixed several months ago and have been wary of shooting it since.

Turns out it was my fault for slapping the cylinder shut (shut up, it was my first revolver) but it still worries me that I'm gonna hurt my baby.

????

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just bought a MKIII A the last Metcalf Show.
It jammmed once in the first two clips.

I followed the advice in this thread.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221089&highlight=mods+my+way

I removed the mag lock, replaced it with washers, removed the LCI, and polished the sear and hammer. I also did the slingshot mod.
It shoots great now. I also removed all the ruger oil with carb cleaner and re oiled it with Remoil

The mags go in easier and they drop out when I hit the release button.
I did not use the bic lighter spring, but used a short section of O-ring instead.
Sweet gun now!

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
my mark III is picky about which ammo i use it doesn't like hollow points at all in any brand it will shoot soild tips in rem,cci,win,and some fed. i have tryed some of the others that are what i call cheap stuff and it has issues with most of them.i have even changed mags still the same thing.even my 10-22 is picky and i have had it for aleast 15 years i do clean both after each use my mark III is the stainless slab barrel competion model with cocobola grips

????

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The post did mention polishing the feed ramp also. I didn't do that because I forgot. sheesh. Maybe next time I break it down.
I've been shooting Rem's and Fedrals.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some are destined to fail.
I just bought a stainless Mark III and fired about 300 rounds through it out of the box without a single jam. I even used remington golden bullets as well as federal bulk.
My brother bought the same gun several months back and his jammed constantly, he ended up sending it back to Ruger TWICE on his dime before it stopped jamming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom