Ruger Mark IV...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a good and necessary change. The laborious takedown of the Mk pistols has made them seem dated in today's .22 market.
I think the S&W Victory had a lot to do with pushing Ruger to make this shift.
Will wait for a Mk IV 22/45 version to appear - preferably with a factory-included Pic rail on top.

PS: Note that the Mk IV "Hunter" model has the imprecise V-notch rear sight -- always a terrible idea for a .22. I can't tell whether the fiber optic front sight on the Hunter has a square or rounded face; if rounded, they really couldn't have done much more to impair the sights on that pistol. Those setups should just disappear. The "Target" has real sights and would be the way to go.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Manufacturers have to introduce new product or die. Looks like Ruger thinks they can get a healthy price hike with the MK IV. We will see. I think I might have $275 in an as new in box MK III i got maybe 2 years ago.

Often prices of newly introduced guns are high but dwindle back a bit as time moves. I don't think I'd pay more than $25 for the easy takedown option.

The fully machined frame is neat but is it really essential for this particular gun? Has anyone ever seen a Ruger semi auto .22LR frame plum wore out from use?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Buzzdraw, post: 2910694, member: ...
...Has anyone ever seen a Ruger semi auto .22LR frame plum wore out from use?[/QUOTE]

No, I seriously doubt it. A few years ago, a friend of mine found an old Ruger MK I under the driver's seat in his long-deceased Grandpa's dead pick-up out truck on the farm that had been tractor-pulled way out there in the fields at the edge of a ditch that was all rusted and corroded shut and in horrendous condition. He used Naval Jelly, a wire brush, and steel wool to get rid of most of the rust, cleaned it up as good as he could, and you know what? Yep, you guessed it; the dang thing still shot. I know cause I saw it before and after. Accuracy was all but gone, (as was the once blue finish) but it still shot minute-of-cardboard-box at maybe 7- 10 yards.

I'm with YG and several others I suspect; all ya'll with MK I's, II's, and III's and 22/45's that wanna get a MK IV will be selling your old too hard to take down and put together Rugers cheap soon and I'll buy TWO. One for me to shoot the crap out of and ONE to give to the Grandson to learn how to properly detail strip and reassemble a classic Ruger MK pistol.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Buzzdraw, post: 2910694, member: ...
...Has anyone ever seen a Ruger semi auto .22LR frame plum wore out from use?

No, I seriously doubt it. A few years ago, a friend of mine found an old Ruger MK I under the driver's seat in his long-deceased Grandpa's dead pick-up out truck on the farm that had been tractor-pulled way out there in the fields at the edge of a ditch that was all rusted and corroded shut and in horrendous condition. He used Naval Jelly, a wire brush, and steel wool to get rid of most of the rust, cleaned it up as good as he could, and you know what? Yep, you guessed it; the dang thing still shot. I know cause I saw it before and after. Accuracy was all but gone, (as was the once blue finish) but it still shot minute-of-cardboard-box at maybe 7- 10 yards.

I'm with YG and several others I suspect; all ya'll with MK I's, II's, and III's and 22/45's that wanna get a MK IV will be selling your old too hard to take down and put together Rugers cheap soon and I'll buy TWO. One for me to shoot the crap out of and ONE to give to the Grandson to learn how to properly detail strip and reassemble a classic Ruger MK pistol.[/QUOTE]

Buy mine! Will go great with the suppressor you need to buy for the kid to preserve his hearing and already has an idiot mark so you/he won't fell bad adding a few more.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I'm with YG and several others I suspect; all ya'll with MK I's, II's, and III's and 22/45's that wanna get a MK IV will be selling your old too hard to take down and put together Rugers cheap soon and I'll buy TWO. One for me to shoot the crap out of and ONE to give to the Grandson to learn how to properly detail strip and reassemble a classic Ruger MK pistol.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, but I played with one yesterday at my LGS. Pretty much the same at the other Mark I,II or III's but you push a button on the back and the barrel tilts up to remove the bolt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get you a http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html for your old models.
I use the Ruger Mark III hunter for steel challenge at least twice a month. One of the first ones out. Probably 10K rounds or so through it over the years. Still a tack driver. You can't wear one out.
Strip kit takes about 10 seconds to separate the upper from the lower. Allen wrench is all that is needed.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I added a Mark IV Hunter to the collection Saturday, the Fat Boys had one in the display case that made me buy it...

I'm anxious to shoot it and see how it performs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom