Ruger Precision Rimfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like it will be a shooter.
I've had best luck with CCI SV for "cheap accuracy". Looks like your results are similar.

Congrats man!
Yessir for sure. I picked up the $7 box of Norma match today just to see if it was worth it. I sure don't see its that much better than the cci sv. I've got a few more brands/types around here. We will try em tomorrow.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I should also give an honorable mention to the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40. I really wanted exposed turrets on this setup so we could play with shooting various distances with the ease.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CCI SV is supposed to be CCI Green Tag that did not meet certain "Green Tag" specs. Pretty good stuff for low end ammo. Few .22s will shoot well with HV ammo of any type. See if you can find some Federal Gold Medal "Match" ammo. Academy has it on clearance here for $10 a box. Very good ammo at a good price. Good luck with your shooting!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCI SV is supposed to be CCI Green Tag that did not meet certain "Green Tag" specs. Pretty good stuff for low end ammo. Few .22s will shoot well with HV ammo of any type. See if you can find some Federal Gold Medal "Match" ammo. Academy has it on clearance here for $10 a box. Very good ammo at a good price. Good luck with your shooting!
I was waiting on someone to comment on this, and your the .22 shooter with the guns that can prove this.
Way back in the day I bought some .22 long Target that was about 1100 fps. It was tack driving ammo in a Glenfield 35 carbine I think it was. (too lazy to walk to the barn to check) Cheap $35 rifle NIB when Gibsons went out of business in the late 70's.
I don't shoot for tiny groups, instead, shoot steel challenge for a hit anywhere, and minute of angle for armadillo's.
On another forum we had a shooting contest for rimfires using the honor system to shoot targets and post pics for bragging rights awhile back.
Man, my Hv stuff I always shoot was not tack driving. I did buy some of the Federal Match in the 50 round box to shoot, and the groups shrank tremendously. (talking 3/4" down to 1/4" at 25 yds.)
Not up to your standards but it brought to mind why?
I have to compare it to weights and speeds vs twist? In centerfire there is that break point in velocity vs bullet length, vs vs bullet design vs twist that makes all the difference in the world for accuracy.
I think most of us just consider the .22RF as a utility round and don't consider what it takes to be an accurate round?

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several kinds of 22 LR I bought during the crisis because I couldnt buy much of the same stuff. As of right now I dont have anything that shoots impressive at all. Just the other day I shot some federal that I have over a chrono and it was all over the place. So Im liking where this conversation is going.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah Mr. Hoddy, I for sure never gave the 22 much credit. The few 22s I've ever took much time to shoot had no scope so distance was somewhat limited. I gotta say I really enjoyed shooting this rig yesterday. Cheap and no muffs needed. I can see my family getting a couple more similar rigs.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah Mr. Hoddy, I for sure never gave the 22 much credit. The few 22s I've ever took much time to shoot had no scope so distance was somewhat limited. I gotta say I really enjoyed shooting this rig yesterday. Cheap and no muffs needed. I can see my family getting a couple more similar rigs.

I don't see a can on the rifle, You need to reconsider the no muffs, especially for your daughter. Even though it's not as loud as centerfire it still damages your hearing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom