S&w 22a ammo questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have s&w 22a and have only tried it once but it had a hard time with federal ammo. Anybody have one of these and what are you using in it.

The problems were a lil of everything. Fte, light primer strikes, etc.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used bulk pack ammo from Fed, Rem, and Win, along with several other types in mine without any problems at all other than the Rem BP is so dirty you have to clean it a little more often. I just give it a shot of CLP and a quick brushing followed by a wipe down and go on.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use american eagle. I've noticed as soon as i have a feed issue, if I clean the feed ramp real quick, it feeds great again. I have have to do this at the range if I try and fire more than 150-200 rounds.

Preacher99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take it out again, but I know it wasn't an issue of it being dirty. I'll try some different types and see. I talked to S&W and they said if it doesn't get better they'll issue me a tag to send it back. At least their customer service is good.

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine runs the Fed bulk just fine. If it's a new gun you might try to run a couple hundred rounds of Mini-Mag's through it. I do that with any semi-auto rimfire I buy.

Preacher99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wondering if I got a bad batch of ammo. Took the pistol ot again and consistently had light primer strikes, ran the same ammo through my 22 conversion kit for my ar and while I didn't have as many, I had several light primer strikes as well.

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use mostly Federal in my 22A. The bigest thing I found was the pistol needed to be shot a lot before it started working like it should. It helped to keep it well lubed, maybe even over lubed, during this break in period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom