S&W 28-2 refurbish question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a S&W Highway Patrol .357, it has quite a bit of normal wear from being carried. My question is: Has anyone had a complete re-blue done on their gun? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, I would like to restore it to its former glory and give it top billing in my showcase next to my 15-2 .38. So what am I getting myself into?

Jeff

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen numerous images of 28's sent back to S&W for re-blue. They looked really nice. The finish was nicer than the one they originally left the factory wearing.

The blue on a 15, particular an older one like yours, is normally a nice deep blue over a well polished base. The blue on a 28 never was that nice; it was a utilitarian finish at best. Round edges were blasted and flats were sorta polished, then into the blue tank it went.

28's can look ugly and be entirely in character.

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
28's never had the finish of a 27 or other blued S&W. Refinishing it will kill the collector value if you resell it later on down the line.

Not entirely true. Most of the first Highway Patrolman 28's had nice polish and fit/finish under very good bluing. I heard it was a point of pride for the S&W guys to provide the best gun to the working guys on the street at a price they could afford. Later guns that I have seen have the poor polish and parts fit that was mentioned. My father has one of the early ones, it looks nearly as good as the higher priced models.

csmestorga

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 28 (early enough to be pinned/recessed) has a nice semi-gloss black finish, certainly not the glossy deep blue of a 27. Mine is in pretty great condition, but if I were to do a refinish, I would probably have jerad over at Harsh firearms do a cerakote job on it in graphite black.