S & W 629 PC vcomp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering buying this model from the performance center from S&W. Does anyone have any experience with this gun and is it worth the extra money to purchase it over a standard model with a four inch barrel. I want the four or five inch barrel as I taking it on a trip to Alaska. I'm considering a chest harness type holster as I'll be carrying it while fishing and such. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience with the compensated 629, but I do have the standard 4" version and have nothing but good things to say about it. I did smooth up the trigger a little and put a set of grips off of the S&W 500 revolver on it, but nothing else. I can comment on the holster though. I bought a Guide's Choice holster from Diamond D and would recommend it highly. Putting it nicely, I have a big midsection (really big) and have problems with most methods of carry. The Guide's Choice puts the gun right in the middle of your chest and keeps it tight against your body no matter what position your in. Diamond D's home is in Alaska, so I guess they know their business. The holster is a little pricey, but very well made. Check out their web site.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have lots of experience with the 629 V-Comp, if you can afford one, by all means buy it! You will not be disappointed. The compensator does a great job of limiting barrel flip making accurate second shots much faster which is a VERY good thing when a bear is charging you. There are very few folks who own a 500 who can get back on target fast enough to make seconds in that situation. The gun itself is spectacular looking and feels great with the Hogue grips making it much easier to hold in a wet environment than standard grips plus they do a great job of absorbing recoil. The accuracy with these guns is excellent and the trigger is the best I've ever felt on a revolver, or any gun for that matter.

I see you are in OKC, if you would like to shoot mine I will offer you the opportunity. You'll have to provide your own factory ammo, I'm currently out :( and a place to shoot. I'm warning you now though, once you shoot it you'll want one LOL. Let me know.

I'm probably going to remove the RMR for now, since I can't get it to adjust far enough but otherwise her she is.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, Brandi that's very generous of you. I certainly do appreciate the offer. Where did you manage to find one in Oklahoma, I've been looking but no luck so far. I love look of your gun, never considered the RMR. I have ammo and may have to pm you for an opportunity to meet you at H & H or something. I work 8 days on at a time, but I may try to find the free time on this set of days off. Thanks again! And the information was much appreciated.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finding one...that was a problem.... I searched for a couple years actually. I never saw one in Oklahoma, I had "watch for" alerts set up on online gun sites so when one came up for sale it would email me. The problem was they were bought usually within minutes of coming available and I would lose out by not being fast enough. I was extremely frustrated and then two years ago for Christmas it was my turn to open presents. My first gift from my sister was the pink camo Walther P22 I had wanted, the second gift was the Bond Arms "Bond Girl" derringer .357 mag with discontinued pink pearl grips I had wanted and my third gift was that S&W 629 V-Comp.... needless to say I was stunned.

She had set up the same alerts and managed to be the first one to grab one up, Bud's Guns if I remember correctly, earlier in the year. She said she was freaking out every time one popped up for sale because she was afraid I was going to buy one when she had already bought me one LOL. Anywho, I would recommend signing up for the "gun watch" on whatever sites offer them (Bud's Guns and Davidson's are both trustworthy). As soon as you get an alert that one has popped up for sale DON'T hesitate, buy it immediately because they are very sought after guns and being a PC gun they are not not produced very fast.

They are absolutely worth it, I wish I could afford a second one. I do have plans someday, finances permitting, to buy a 627 V-Comp .357 magnum to go with my 629, the perfect pair in my opinion.

Feel free to contact me and I'll meet you at H&H so you can try it out.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to consider if you buy this revolver and one important purpose is to have it for Alaska is that if there is any chance you will visit / drive into Canada while on your trip you will not be able to carry 4" model with you. Not even in your car or be I possession of one. Not an expert on the Canada laws but I believe a handgun barrel needs to at least 4.1339" or 4 9/64". Also, FYI, no .25 or .32 cal pistol cartridges allowed. Maybe this won't relate to you though.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a member on here that has one. He was asking $1000 for it and it did not sale. I tried to sale it for him at a gun show and failed. It was very nice, let me see if I can remember his user name, and get it to ya.....BTW all you 44mag People are STRAIGHT UP NUTTS.lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom