S&W M&P10 - From Stock to Not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree there is some worry about the spring. I just like the idea of the two position suppressed / unsupressed. The metering screw on the SLR worries me from an erosion standpoint. I don't think either option is exactly what I am looking for: 308 Switchblock. I think I am going to give the Govnah I try and then we'll compare notes.

Deal. My go to online supplier got me my order a day earlier than expectsd so I had a box of parts waiting for my when I got home. I love paying for ground and getting next day service. I am still waiting on 2 more immediate deliveries and one from Vortex Optics that could take a bit. Also, found out that Dustin's lathe will be back up running this weekend so I'll be dropping the barrel off sometime before Friday to get cut/threaded. Looks like I should be able to make it to the range next Thursday, albeit with an underpowered optic.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havent read your entire post, but if you still need a HP 13.8 troy, let me know. Real good deal on it.

PM Sent. The one I ordered showed up but it needs to head back anyways since the Troy guide (HP vs LP) was wrong in my case. If the deal is really that good then we can work something out since I don't see myself using iron sights on this one. I really wish they would come up with a mil-spec for the AR10.

Here it is with the parts mocked up:

i1132.photobucket.com_albums_m575_gabrielmkvigli_OSA_22397177_300cc098d95ce1c80abfe27ea66b40f3.jpg

Still waiting on the adjustable gas block, the 51t FH mount (Thanks Spata!) and, of course, the barrel to be threaded. Will be trying to coordinate and getting that done tomorrow as well as seeing about finding a reasonable priced 13.8 Troy Low-profile TRX .308.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the SLR Sentry adjustable gas block and the 51t FH. Also, I found out that Troy was addressing an issue with the way the TRX rails mount and are secured. I can get the new design by waiting '2-3 weeks' for the Alpha rail or 'undetermined' amount of time for the Vtac version. What are your thoughts? Ordering direct from a manufacturer kinda sucks because you pay MSRP but who knows if these will actually make it down to a distributor...

Alpha:
1039.jpg

Vtac:
1032.jpg

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it makes not one difference.

I'll fondle the AR15 versions of both again and make a decision by Tuesday. Will most likely order the Alpha since they are actually quoting a shipping time.
Also, looks like my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and mount shipped. Now it's down to rail and cut/thread job.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the SLR Sentry adjustable gas block and the 51t FH. Also, I found out that Troy was addressing an issue with the way the TRX rails mount and are secured. I can get the new design by waiting '2-3 weeks' for the Alpha rail or 'undetermined' amount of time for the Vtac version. What are your thoughts? Ordering direct from a manufacturer kinda sucks because you pay MSRP but who knows if these will actually make it down to a distributor...

Alpha:
1039.jpg

Vtac:
1032.jpg

I prefer the alpha. Pretty much the exact same rail though. I just like how my thumb sits in the holes as opposed to the slots. Makes me feel like I have a better grip.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Alpha, have it on two of my guns and have put it on two or three others I built for friends. The squid-grips to fit in the holes aren't cheap, but they have a nice feel to them. It's a good rail.

I'm probably done with Alpha rails, though, but just because I like variety and having them on two rifles is probably enough. I'm going with different rails on the new guns. Just did a Jarrett rail, probably do one or two of the VTACs, some of the new UTGs that look nice, etc.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking pretty good so far.

Thank you!

I prefer the alpha. Pretty much the exact same rail though. I just like how my thumb sits in the holes as opposed to the slots. Makes me feel like I have a better grip.

I like the Alpha, have it on two of my guns and have put it on two or three others I built for friends. The squid-grips to fit in the holes aren't cheap, but they have a nice feel to them. It's a good rail.

I'm probably done with Alpha rails, though, but just because I like variety and having them on two rifles is probably enough. I'm going with different rails on the new guns. Just did a Jarrett rail, probably do one or two of the VTACs, some of the new UTGs that look nice, etc.

So the new rails are only available through Troy for pre-order. I called and talked to one of their sales/CSR people, Denise, and ordered both of them, figuring that I would just cancel the VTAC if I found the Alpha suitable. When I got the confirmation, I was surprised by a note from her saying that their Memorial Day sale had just ended but she had gone ahead and given me the discount so I saved 25% instead of 10% for the .mil discount. I will now wait until I have both and make a decision and sell the other. There are a number of other options out there I would love to have but most don't come in .308 versions.

I also got the scope today; a lot quicker turnaround than I thought. Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP.

www.vortexoptics.com_uploads_rfl_pst_4_16x50_mrad_fr_t.jpg