S&W M&P10 - From Stock to Not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gabriel, from your pics, it looks like your rifle has a heavier barrel than the standard lightweight M&P one like mine has. Is that part of the MA configuration? It looks well-suited to what you are wanting your rifle to be... a little more precision-oriented, and a suppressor host. A 1-6x sounds great. You also might be into something like a 2.5-10x if you want to go a little lighter/faster, but still with a decent top end for precision. Anyway, keep us posted on your progress... I hope to see it (and you) at Pawnee on Jan. 17!

Yep, the MA version came with the unthreaded heavy profile barrel and a pinned fixed stock. Went with that version so I could have the barrel cut back and threaded without having any issues having the thinner profile barrel threaded for a suppressor mount. AAC makes a mount in a 9/16 thread pitch but didn't want to mess with any complications that may arise from a non-standard setup. Wanted to give Dustin as much meat as he needed to get the threading right so I could avoid any hint of baffle strikes.

I will look into the 2.5-10x or 3-9x scopes that Vortex offers (hooray for discounts for a bit longer anyway) since my ultimate want for this rifle is for it to be a suppressed battle rifle with better than average accuracy.

I will definitely be in Pawnee at the next event. Timing, finances, and my knee didn't help with this one but been running and building up my kit for it.

Have you noticed any accuracy issues from your rifle? There are a number of people, including one on this board, that have noticed that the rifling data stamped on the top of the barrel was pressed through on the thinner profile barrels affecting the bore's rifling and causing accuracy issues. Think I have a picture somewhere....

You can see it between 12 and 1 o'clock in this photo.

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_09_09_7d4a7963d430d46a5d46d1bd913555da.jpg

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, was just about to ask him about his barrel....

I have the MI gen 2 on mine but it's on the way back to S&W with a crapper of a barrel, hope to have it replaced with the compliant barrel and will cut it down.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My barrel doesn't appear to have the barrel stamping pressed through, though I do notice what looks like a little raised ring in the grooves near the muzzle. It would be interesting to slug it. I haven't noticed any issues, but I've only ever shot it from unsupported field positions... not even using a sling... mostly to get a rough zero and to function check it. I got some 2-4 MOA groups with surplus ammo doing that. Now that it runs, I will do some more work with it and get a better idea of what it will do.

The pencil barrel was the whole reason I bought the rifle. It is one of the few that comes with at least an 18" barrel in a lightweight profile that is either nitrided or chrome lined. It weighs less with a scope than my M1 does with just irons.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My barrel doesn't appear to have the barrel stamping pressed through, though I do notice what looks like a little raised ring in the grooves near the muzzle. It would be interesting to slug it. I haven't noticed any issues, but I've only ever shot it from unsupported field positions... not even using a sling... mostly to get a rough zero and to function check it. I got some 2-4 MOA groups with surplus ammo doing that. Now that it runs, I will do some more work with it and get a better idea of what it will do.

The pencil barrel was the whole reason I bought the rifle. It is one of the few that comes with at least an 18" barrel in a lightweight profile that is either nitrided or chrome lined. It weighs less with a scope than my M1 does with just irons.

I like the weight, I want the thicker barrel and cut it down and pin my badass comp on it. It will be a thumper & LOUD

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I don't think I got one of the bad barreled ones... I had mine at the range yesterday and it very consistently shot 2" 100 yard groups with surplus ammo from prone with a sling. It's all dialed in and ready to go for the Pecos Run 'n Gun... I have some of the new Magpul 25 round mags on the way too. I was also able to finally find some Varget powder last week... I am interested to see what this thing will do with some hand loads.