S&W M&P10 - From Stock to Not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifle looks great so far. I have the same scope but in 1-4x30 on my Mini 14 and the ejected brass is hell on the turret. Any issues with your M&P and those huge turrets?

Thanks, I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on one of my SBR's and love it too. No issues at all with the turrets. Brass deflected forward a bit because of the excess gas but should be better now that the gas block has been adjusted.

Looks nice! Are the cases showing signs of over pressure? Primers popping is a good indicator but I recommend an adjustable gas block like the offering from Seekins.

Only had the one case with a popped primer. The rest only had the ripped lips and markings from a rough chamber. Chamber has been polished. Have an adjustable gas block just didn't have the driver to adjust it when I went to the range. It's all adjusted now and just waiting on getting back out to Banner Road to shoot again.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to Canadian Ranges on Friday so I could make sure the adjustments I made to the gas block worked. It did... kind of.

The thing runs like a raped ape with the gas block adjusted 3-clicks from fully closed when the suppressor is on. The accuracy is leaving me wanting; about 4" @ 100yds. That was using both HPR 168gr .308 match and PPU 147gr 7.62 surplus. Swapping out the stock trigger with a Geisele SSA to see how much of it is me.

I attempted to fire it unsuppressed with the block at the same setting to see if it was the suppressor that was affecting accuracy and no go. Opened it up a few clicks to help it cycle a round and it got better so opened it up a few more click, same result as last round, few more clicks, same result, 5 more clicks, same result. I thought shortening the barrel 3.5" would have helped the more thank likely under gassed gun but it looks like I will be needing to open up the port from it's .068" size and use the gas block to regulate more gas.

The accuracy did not improve noticeably without the suppressor but I was also frustratingly charging the gun so we'll schedule another trip out once I can get the port open, which should be tomorrow.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think if anything shortening the barrel would make it even more undergassed. Less dwell time = less gas pressure at the carrier key. Let me know how it goes... I'll soon be attempting the same thing if S&W doesn't get back to me on the warranty claim I called in.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think if anything shortening the barrel would make it even more undergassed. Less dwell time = less gas pressure at the carrier key. Let me know how it goes... I'll soon be attempting the same thing if S&W doesn't get back to me on the warranty claim I called in.

If you do not mind me asking what warranty claim did you make? I do not have an M&P 10, but I have heard many good things about them. It seems the common complaint has been that they are unreliable with overseas ammo. I am interested to hear what problems you are having. Thanks.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am curious to see what kind of accuracy you get with the can on now that your gas block is adjusted properly. I cannot get my DPMS to shoot well with the can.