S&W Model 22 (45ACP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having had this particular wheelgun for about eight or nine years now, I decided to give my impression of it.

Here is a stock picture of it from the IMFDb:

www.imfdb.org_images_thumb_a_ac_150195_large.jpg_450px_150195_large.jpg

Mine differs only in the presence of plainclothes Magna stocks and a T-grip adapter.

It is an N-frame S&W in 45 Auto with a 4" barrel and loads with either moonclips or with the 45 Auto Rim (AR) cartridges. 45 AR is ballistically identical to the 45 Auto rounds but instead of being rimless, it has an ultra-thick rim allowing for proper headspacing. Personally, I use the moonclips. They are quite fast to reload with and also prevent the cases from scattering all over the place.

A fair description of it could be that it is a 4" version of the M1917 wheelgun from WWI. I have the 'new' 5 1/2" (Model of 1917) version of it as well. Both this handgun and the new '1917' version are +P-rated. Unfortunately, S&W dropped their new Model 22 from the production line several years back. I forget the exact date I acquired them but it was after 2005 and before 2008.

The other day, I took it out to my range and gave it a workout. About 70-80 rounds went downrange and the gun handled well. Most, in fact, almost all of them were close range hip shots and the paper man was killed as dead as could be. The DA pull on this gun was quite good coming from the factory which is unusual, as many, if not most of this particular model as well as the M-1917 already referred to, had totally crappy triggers. Mine is good in that regard but the M-1917 produced around the same time, was not and my gunsmith had to do quite a bit of work on it before it was good.

I had an interesting encounter on my way to the range. I stopped and looked at some construction work and one of the local police chiefs happened by. I took the opportunity to show him my setup and he seemed to be favorably impressed with what he saw but suggested that I add some height to the berm, saying that if someone shot there who did not shoot well, it could be a problem. He also showed me the method of close-range hip or point shooting that the police are being taught here. It is basically a version of what refer to as the old speed-rock where the gun is held quite close to the body. It is no doubt familiar to many of you.

Anyway, back to the Model 22--if someone likes wheelguns and wants to carry a 45 ACP, this would be a good selection. It is rugged, and shoots a good combat-proven cartridge. I love mine.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't been into 45 for awhile now, but always wanted the 625JM.

What's the recoil like?

The recoil actually is not bad. Understand that this is subjective, but I would put it between that of a 38 Special and a 357 Magnum. That, BTW, is with factory 230 grain ball. I had an outfitter in Okie City to make 1000 low-velocity rounds of a 200 LRNFP and they seem to work quite well. I specified the MV to be around 750-800 FPS. The recoil with these is about 2/3rds of the factory stuff so they are somewhat more pleasant to shoot.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 325 Night Guard. It pointed very well, and shot nicely, and with the rubber grips, the recoil wasn't bad at all. More of a push than anything. I just can't warm up to the long DA trigger pull on a revolver though, so I sold it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 325 Night Guard. It pointed very well, and shot nicely, and with the rubber grips, the recoil wasn't bad at all. More of a push than anything. I just can't warm up to the long DA trigger pull on a revolver though, so I sold it.

The long DA trigger pull is something that I actually do better with and one of the main reasons that I prefer wheelguns. When I got my Oklahoma CCW I qualified with my Glock, just so I could carry semi-autos, but 99.99% of the time, I actually carry a wheelgun.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have one of those too!

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_IMG_2601_Small.jpg

22-4 Thunder Ranch.

I have the original slim grips, but for my hands the recoil was uncomfortable with them, so I found the larger Eagle target reproduction grips. Much better!

Latest posts

Top Bottom