Safe Technician Recommendations in the OKC Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawfirearms

Marksman
Reaction score
I would recommend replacing it with a S&G dial combination lock. I have a Fort Knox I bought around 1988 and have never had a problem with the lock. Smooth as silk.
On the other hand, I have two smaller Cannon safes that I bought around 1998. Lost the combination to one, called Cannon and they were zero help. Said they only keep combination numbers for a short time.
That's what I plan on doing. And you are correct, Cannon Customer Service is not very helpful and in a big hurry to get off your call. At least that was my experience.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched that video and many others to try and find a way to get into my safe. I have another Cannon safe with the same keypad and lock as the one that has died. I tried several new Duracell and Energizer Max 9V alkaline batteries and I tried the identical Kaba Mas keypad from my other Cannon safe and it would not unlock the safe. I also called Cannon Customer Service and after trying a few of their scripted troubleshooting steps, they believed the lock inside the door was dead and would have to be replaced. They are sending me a new NL electronic keypad and lock; however, I don't plan on using an electronic lock again unless I have too. Calling a Safe Technician has been my last resort. What a frustrating ordeal!

If that's the case, and it does sound like it, you'll have to drill or cut your way in.

I went the other way on my Canon about 20 years ago. I snagged a S&G electronic off of ebay and replaced my S&G dial. I still have the dial and have been wondering on when I'm going to be in the same boat as you and whether I should just put it back in. :scratch:

outlawfirearms

Marksman
Reaction score
If that's the case, and it does sound like it, you'll have to drill or cut your way in.

I went the other way on my Canon about 20 years ago. I snagged a S&G electronic off of ebay and replaced my S&G dial. I still have the dial and have been wondering on when I'm going to be in the same boat as you and whether I should just put it back in. :scratch:
After this incident, I would put that S&G dial back in at my first opportunity. I have two other Cannon safes and I plan on switching the electronic keypads & locks to S&G dials in the very near future. I'm just very lucky I don't need immediate access to the items in my safe. I keep our passports in the safe and I'm sure glad we didn't have a trip planned and unable to get into the safe.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After this incident, I would put that S&G dial back in at my first opportunity. I have two other Cannon safes and I plan on switching the electronic keypads & locks to S&G dials in the very near future. I'm just very lucky I don't need immediate access to the items in my safe. I keep our passports in the safe and I'm sure glad we didn't have a trip planned and unable to get into the safe.
Well S&G is most definitely not LeGard. That said they are still electronic and will fail at some point. At the time I bought they were "rated" for 2 million activations and passed DOD standards, though I'm not sure the one I bought was all that, but S&G is (or was) the gold standard in safe locks.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
O you could get in you just don't want to have to do it that way!!

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Of course, I changed the default combo to my current combo about 20 years ago.

A stretch I know, but if you remember it, have you tried it?

Do you get any feedback from the keypad, like a blinking red LED?

Do you hear any clicking after the combo is entered?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom