Sand Point Well?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the process of purchasing a small acreage. It does not have a well on it. I got a quote for $13k! Neighbors just had one installed and spent $18k. Only plan to use it as a place to go ride dirt bikes and maybe keep some chickens and bees for now. I keep coming across these videos on YouTube of people hand hammering these sand point wells. Thought this might be a good option for some emergency water. I can’t find any info on whether or not these 20 foot sand point wells work in central Oklahoma though. Anyone tried it?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can’t find any info on whether or not these 20 foot sand point wells work in central Oklahoma though. Anyone tried it?
It all depends on where in central Oklahoma you are. If you’re in eastern Cleveland County, there’s lots of groundwater—there are buildings on OU’s campus that have sump pumps because the water table is high enough to intrude into their basement mechanical rooms (I’ve actually heard it described as an underground river). If you go almost due west into McClain County, there’s an area where the water well drillers who know the area will tell you straight up that they won’t drill; there’s just not enough flow through the rock to dig a useful well.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This map has the depth of known wells in OK, you can also adjust it to get info on aquifers. Check and see the depth of wells around your location. ArcGIS Web Application

Also looks like you have to pull permits to make a hole of any kind.
Nice! Thanks. I found the neighbors well. It says total depth 180 with first water at 120. I’m guessing that means these shallow hand wells don’t work in that area or is there still a chance there might be small amounts of water. All I need is like a five gallon bucket. If I ever build a house I’d obviously pay for a legit one.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks. I found the neighbors well. It says total depth 180 with first water at 120. I’m guessing that means these shallow hand wells don’t work in that area or is there still a chance there might be small amounts of water. All I need is like a five gallon bucket. If I ever build a house I’d obviously pay for a legit one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom