Savage 110 extraction issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have a Savage 110 Trail Hunter in 308. It has 50 rounds down the pipe. My problem, is that after I fire a round I try to extract it using the bolt. The bolt raises as it should, but will not come backwards without a fight. Sometimes I even have to set the gun up and whack the bolt on the bolt handle to get it to extract the round. Has anyone heard of this problem? Has anyone ever talked to Savage about this issue? if you have, what did you do to fix the problem? Thank you for your time.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got to ask which ammo. The steel cased stuff is hot and caused this in several Savages, including one that got the bolt handle broke off from hammering it open. Other than that, there are several threads around about shimming the baffle or filing it out.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your using reloads they are too hot.
I encountered this yesterday.
I looked up 308 data and loaded accordingly. Forgetting to take into consideration the case capacity difference between commercial and military brass.
My 45 grains was well below the published maximum for commercial but over for military brass which was 44.5
Had to knock them out with a cleaning rod or whack the bolt with a screwdriver handle.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ammo is to hot for the rifle, my BIL had this issue with some rounds I loaded for him to run in his savage. I used 44gr and it was to much even tho max was 46. I cut them back to 42 and no more issues and they drive tacks

Latest posts

Top Bottom