Savage 116 - retaining pin broke week before rifle season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welp, I was confirming my zero for my savage 116 270 win, when I realized it was getting difficult to lock the bolt in place after chambering a round. I went ahead and shot it, but after ejecting the shell a small round piece fell out… after doing some research I’ve found that this is the original retaining pin that broke and savage had some issues with this particular size, which measures .150 (big hole). To my knowledge, savage no longer produces this size since they had issues with these retaining pins breaking. To fix this, savage started producing a retaining pin that measure .100 in size. Wasn’t happy that this happened, but I am sure glad it didn’t happen on a hunting trip!

Has anyone dealt with this before? From what I have read, there’s more parts to replace than the retaining pin to account for the smaller sized diameter pin. Any feedback would be appreciated, I enjoy this rifle and have had success with it. I would like to have it fixed for next season as long as it doesn’t cost too much and if it’s worth the hassle!

Attachments

• IMG_9709.jpeg
    IMG_9709.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9708.jpeg
    IMG_9708.jpeg
    783.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9707.jpeg
    IMG_9707.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9706.jpeg
    IMG_9706.jpeg
    962.5 KB · Views: 0

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would call Savage if you haven’t already. I’ve spoken to them twice about issues and they gladly sent me parts. I know you’ve been lead to believe the part is unavailable but I’d let savage tell you that and just maybe if that’s the case they’ll help support you in another way.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would call Savage if you haven’t already. I’ve spoken to them twice about issues and they gladly sent me parts. I know you’ve been lead to believe the part is unavailable but I’d let savage tell you that and just maybe if that’s the case they’ll help support you in another way.
I have emailed them, I plan to call them Monday as well! Hopefully they will be able to send the correct parts.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for JackFirst…. I had the same pin fail in my 116/270 Win years ago, back when Savage would still supply parts for older rifles. I suspect excess dry firing may weaken it. I bought two so I would have a spare…….
Thanks I haven’t ordered from them before, too bad the shipping cost as much as the pin lol… do you still have your 116?

Latest posts

Top Bottom