savage or remington 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm sure this has been covered but I'm kinda new to OSA.
I just ran across a new remington 700 VTR chambered in 308 for $509 at a local sportsman world. My buddy says its a great rifle. Seems like a good price but I'm not ready to buy at the moment.
However this made me think more about my first pick for a tactical rifle which is a Savage 10FP chamber 308. I have done a fair amount of research on the savage and I am convinced they are the best for $630.
So both are in a similar price category and I would like to get into a decent set up for under a $1000.
Any good input would be appreciated

okkaps

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a 700P but not a Savage..... If I were buying again, I would lean towards the Savage if I wasn't building the gun up all custom like :) You get alot for your money with the Savage and at $589 (budsgunshop.com), it's a great deal. Take the extra money and buy a nice scope and base and ur set. If you are looking to buy and build a nice custom gun there are alot more parts for a 700 out there (it seems). You'll be happy either way but the Savage seems to be set up nicely for the price.

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a Savage model 10FP in 308 with the detachable box mag, long bull barrel, and choate tactical stock (not the weird "ultimate sniper" stock) about a year ago from cabelas. It's probably the most accurate out of the box rifle I own. Could shoot it all day long and not come close to shooting larger than an inch group. If you're going to use it as a bench gun, I recommend adjusting the accu-trigger to its lightest setting prior to taking it to the range. It really is a heck of a nice factory trigger. What do you plan on using it for? If it's a hunting rifle, you're probably better off with something a little less front heavy.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got both actually. I love the Savage trigger and the Remington action. Now if I could just combine the 2 it would be great. I bought a Savage 10FP to start with and have loved it ever since, its been a great shooter right out of the box. For $600 you can get the gun, $300 for a decent scope depending on what you want and $150 for rings and good base. You are all set. Although, I've tweaked the hell out of my 10FP now and have got about $1600 tied up in it but to me it was all worth it for a benchrest gun.

I bought a 700 SPS Varmint in .243 (I love that round, and its basically just a little bit smaller .308). I paid $600 for that gun but the stock sucked and so did the "fancy" x-mark trigger that remington uses. So, there went $150 for a Rifle Basix trigger and $400 for a Bell and Carlson's A5 Medalist stock. Right there, just to get it to the point I liked it, same shooting and comfort as the Savage out of the box, I had to spend $1150 - before the scope, rings, and base. I then paid $475 for a 16x40mm Super Sniper scope from SWFA and TPS Rings and Base just to see the target. Now I've got $1700 tied up in the Remington just to get it to shoot like the out of the box Savage (that's $650 more roughly). Right now with the same money tied up in the guns total (remember the Savage has had a bit more gunsmith action work done to it than the basically stock Remington), the Savage is the better shooter out to 300 yards. With the Remington for some reason, the groups really tighten up at 400 yards where the Savage keeps the same MOA and just expands accordingly. Where the Remington will do 1.25" 5-shot groups at 400 that the Savage gets at 300 yards. Gotta remember that I hand load for both guns and have probably found the sweet spot in my .243 load whereas I'm still working up loads for the .308.

Basically, it all boils down to what you want to do with the gun and how much money do you want to spend getting there. If you are wanting a good accurate shooter out of the box with a great trigger that you don't plan to put a ton of money into, get the Savage. If you want a decent gun and plan to tweak the hell out of it and dont have an expense budget, then get the 700 by all means. Good luck!

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to do any mods to it I think the remington is the way to go but I would buy the remington anyway. I have three (22-250, 7mm-08, 17 remington) and they all shoot good.

Post #5 is worthy of reading twice.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I traded someone about a year ago and picked up a Savage 10FP (.308). So far I have to say I am very impressed with it. It is a older model that does not have the accutrigger or accustock but the factory trigger it has is pretty decent and pulls around 3.5-5 pounds.

With my Burris scope on it I was shooting .5" groups at 100 yards with ease. I dont plan on any fancy mods for it. I am looking at the Bell & Carson tactical stock and have the barrell shortened to 20" and threaded and that will be it for me.

It is just nice to have a accurate bolt action, now to add a accurate semi-auto .308 next (AR-10) setup for long range shooting.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote Remington, here was my plan:

I was going to get the Remington SPS varmint in .308WIN with a Bushnell elite 3200, harris bipod, and spend the rest of the $1000 on ammo (I had quotes on everything and had $150 left for ammo). I could easily use that stock for awhile and when/if I replaced it with a HS precision stock..it would then morph into a Remington 700P. Since the 700P's in .308 are the SPS-V with an HS precision stock.

But.......had a friend offer me a used Remington SS 5R mil spec in .308WIN with only 200 rounds fired and weaver base installed. So I went with the super Remington.. I had to deal with the fact I spent my $1000 budget on just the gun and a Harris bipod. :thumbup3:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at OKC gun club couple of weeks ago, and there were two gents shooting half inch groups at 300 yards out of BONE STOCK Savage F/TRs. I'd call BS if I wasn't there to pick-up the targets.

I'm 100% sold - If you want target rifle you can't beat that.

F/TR in 308 will run you right at $1000.

Reaction score
Well Maximus, ya gotta jump on those deals when they come along!

Thanks SDarkRage and every one for the great input.
- plan on mostly using the rifle at the range on steel targets as far out as I can learn to reach.
- plan on occasionally using it for deer, (maby)
-I like the Savage heavy barrel that should never need replacing and am unsure of the Rem VTR triangular barrel.
-I don't plan on modifying heavily ; just would like a quality and accurate bolt rifle to shoot nato ammo
-Prefer to keep it basic and functional: scope, bi-pod and get into hand loading for this one

AAHHHH Johny #5 like input! LOL