savage or remington 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 what SDarkRage said .I knew someone who had one {VTR} in .22-250 he couldn't wait to get rid of the ear splitting sucker .

I have shot the LTR and like it. Wish it came in .260.

Savages are hard to beat.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Savage 10 PC chambered in .308 with the 20" bull barrel and digital camo stock. I love the gun. Have not shot a Remington .308 but I'm not a fan of the Remington 700 in 30.06.

Blurplers

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reaction score
Swift, BSA, or Mueller scopes?

Lord have mercy, please no, don't do that to yourself.

BSA is junk to end all junk. Mueller is pretty junky too, but seems to actually work for the most part, unlike BSA. Poor eye relief, poorly sealed. Relegate to fun rimfires only. Swift, they seem to be a little better, the Swift Premier line anyway, but still just so-so. The cheapest I would go for a long range rifle would be a Super Sniper or Bushnell Elite 3200. Or maybe a Weaver T-series. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. I'd stay away from the other siren songs too - Tasco, Millett, Barska, etc. They're just gonna be cloudier to look through, and quite possible not hold zero or be repeatable. Whatever you do, avoid BSA and Tasco like the plague - in my personal experience and opinion, anyway.

Reaction score
Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50 AO

Bingo - good choice on a budget, IMO!

Life expectancy? Well, I'm not sure, but I'd say overall, in the grand scheme of things, "good" to "very good" most likely, relative to others *in that price range for the magnification level* - Bushnell claims that they have tested ALL forms of "Elite" variations to 10,000 rounds of .375 H&H mag, for what that is worth. They have a "limited lifetime" warranty.