savage or remington 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was leaning towards the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for my .243 700 work-in-progress. Still am, but like you, budget has me limited now. (I bought a good barrel for cheap $$$ instead). Now I have to save for the Scope+Rings+Base and for the 'smith fees to get the gun trued/blueprinted and barrel mounted.

... and ammo, lots of ammo!

Vortex just released the PST model that is under 1k, unfortunately it is on a 3 month back order. I will probably be slapping a Vortex Razor on my savage however unless I am able to get my hands on a PST without too much of a waiting list.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Super Sniper scopes from SWFA.com. I'm using the 16x fixed one on my 700 in .243. Scope was $300 and the good set of TPS rings and base was another $130. For $450 for scope, base, and rings thats not too bad. Its a really clear scope and I've been impressed with it, very easy for me to see the .243 holes in my shoot-n-c's at 400 yards (thats rather clear). If you are on a budget and like fixed magnification scopes then these are something people need to look at that don't want to break the bank. They come in 10x, 16x, and 20x.

Blurplers

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Remington for the action, Savage for the trigger. Mmmm. I can get a Remington for around $450 and a Savage no less than $650. Maybe I should buy the Remington and get the older trigger. Anyone have a website I could look at this trigger for the Remington? Also what size barrel for long range target shooting (up to 1000yds)?

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Super Sniper scopes from SWFA.com. I'm using the 16x fixed one on my 700 in .243. Scope was $300 and the good set of TPS rings and base was another $130. For $450 for scope, base, and rings thats not too bad. Its a really clear scope and I've been impressed with it, very easy for me to see the .243 holes in my shoot-n-c's at 400 yards (thats rather clear). If you are on a budget and like fixed magnification scopes then these are something people need to look at that don't want to break the bank. They come in 10x, 16x, and 20x.

This is also a great scope option!

So Remington for the action, Savage for the trigger. Mmmm. I can get a Remington for around $450 and a Savage no less than $650. Maybe I should buy the Remington and get the older trigger. Anyone have a website I could look at this trigger for the Remington? Also what size barrel for long range target shooting (up to 1000yds)?

Get nothing shorter than a 18" or 20" barrel and you will be ok. Typically I like to get 24" barrels, not sure that it matters as much as some people tend to think. Just personal preference I guess.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If you are going to piece together a rifle (as I said before, thats the only way you are going to get a tack driver at long range short of ordering a surgeon),... just look for a remington 40-x action. My .308 700 started its life as just a 40-x action. I bought a good barrel and stock and the rest is history.

Warning, building a precision medium to long range gun is every bit a sickness as the dreaded black rifle disease. My .308 was finished a couple of months ago and I am already surfing Surgeon and other sites for actions for another, longer range build.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Remington 4 Life kinda guy. I'll never own a savage outside my 17HMR most likely. Nothing wrong with them besides them used to sucking donkey balls, but they seem to have that all worked out. I just can't do it. Give me a pimped out Remmy.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NightForce, Vortex,and SchmidtandBender . . .Is Vortex really in the same category?
Ya, I'd like to go with a NightForce but those and SchmidtandBender cost as much if not two to three times the cost of the Savage rifle. Have any experience with Vortex Bootleggn? Anyone?

I say no!!! The Vortex PST scope is the latest scope that has generated a lot of attention. You get a lot of the features the big name scopes come with at a lower cost. However, they have not been tested as much or long in the MIL/LEO/Civilian arenas as the S&B, USOptics and Nightforces.

I went to find the thread on Sniper'sHide that talks about the scope and found a post saying that Vortex has already stopped shipping anymore of the Viper PST scopes due to QC/manufacturing issues. You can read about the issues and review here. I have not read a whole lot of problems on the other series but you can search for Vortex scopes and find reviews from lots of sources.

There is a reason the Vortex scopes are cheaper. It is usually due to the quality of glass being used in the scope. I will say when I saw Major's S&B scopes at the NFA shoot, I realized that the S&B made the Nightforce scope I have look lower class in the feel of knob clicks and construction. I like my Nightforce scope a lot but would trade it in a heartbeat if I could get or afford a S&B scope.

I am not saying the Vortex would not work perfectly for your use but definitely think they are not in the same category as the big three.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Remington 4 Life kinda guy. I'll never own a savage outside my 17HMR most likely. Nothing wrong with them besides them used to sucking donkey balls, but they seem to have that all worked out. I just can't do it. Give me a pimped out Remmy.

You know, Dustin,... I knew there's a reason why I like you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up vdub. I havent had much of a chance to do my reading on Vortex.

I plan on taking my time and doing the research on the optics. I hope to get it right or close to right the first time. . But no one is perefect