savage or remington 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After owning a new Remington 700, I'd recommend buying an older one. The new triggers they are using flat out suck. No feel to it, just mush. The older 700's with the 40x triggers were awesome. Remington "fixed" a problem that didn't exist. The reason I recommend the savage is on triggers alone. I had to spend $150 buying a Rifle Basix trigger to get the remington to "feel" right. Buy the savage you won't be disappointed. To bad you don't live closer I'd let you shoot both the Savage and Remington side beside so you could make up your own mind.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After owning a new Remington 700, I'd recommend buying an older one. The new triggers they are using flat out suck. No feel to it, just mush. The older 700's with the 40x triggers were awesome. Remington "fixed" a problem that didn't exist. The reason I recommend the savage is on triggers alone. I had to spend $150 buying a Rifle Basix trigger to get the remington to "feel" right. Buy the savage you won't be disappointed. To bad you don't live closer I'd let you shoot both the Savage and Remington side beside so you could make up your own mind.

You can still get a 40-X action. You just have to order a custom gun or the action by itself. (in all honesty, if you are wanting a fly killer at 600yrds, I suggest buying an action and having a barrel mated to it anyway). My .308 is a 40-X action and I love it. Trigger is like glass.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can still get a 40-X action. You just have to order a custom gun or the action by itself. (in all honesty, if you are wanting a fly killer at 600yrds, I suggest buying an action and having a barrel mated to it anyway). My .308 is a 40-X action and I love it. Trigger is like glass.

I truly love the old 40-x's. I was trying to stay on a certain budget when I bought my 700, I'm happy with what I ended up with. Talk about a trigger like glass - I got a rifle basix trigger in it and it breaks at 2 ounces with no creep or overtravel. Just don't sneeze when you close the bolt. I've got to adjust it back upwards to around 10 ounce with a little bit of creep. Other than that, the rifle basix triggers are awesome! I just ordered the wrong one and now gotta go up in pull weight instead of down.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.snipershide.com

Remington will have a smoother action, and the Savage will have a nice trigger. All you have to do is pick which matters the most to you. For scopes I would go either NightForce, Vortex, or Schmidt & Bender if your going for precision. Vortex has a model under 1k that they just released! If its going to be a hunting rig just slap on a Bushnell or a Leopold.

Reaction score
I would definitely take you up on your offer SDarkRage if we were closer!

My buddy is a Remington guy too but really likes the savage gun I'm looking at.

I agree the Rem will have a nicer action but I really like the adjustable trigger on the Savage.

Reaction score
NightForce, Vortex,and SchmidtandBender . . .Is Vortex really in the same category?
Ya, I'd like to go with a NightForce but those and SchmidtandBender cost as much if not two to three times the cost of the Savage rifle. Have any experience with Vortex Bootleggn? Anyone?

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NightForce, Vortex,and SchmidtandBender . . .Is Vortex really in the same category?
Ya, I'd like to go with a NightForce but those and SchmidtandBender cost as much if not two to three times the cost of the Savage rifle. Have any experience with Vortex Bootleggn? Anyone?

Yes
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-5-20x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

Hey, I could have recommended US Optics. Glass is the single most important part of any precision rifle IMO. Without a trustworthy scope, you will never be accurate.

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, poor optics on a good gun = crap

It is nice to read about and drool over $2,500 optics. However, in the real world it is impractical for me to spent that much money on a scope.

I would like to have as much precision as possible for around $350. Hey, I understand a good scope will cost me and one should not skip on optics; I also understand my price range hinders me but I have to set a budget and stick with the budget. Otherwise we would have a severe imballance of necessities vs wants. . . . I need: to not upset the wife. . . I want: to spend all my cash on guns. . . Gotta go with the need on this one. LOL

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was leaning towards the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for my .243 700 work-in-progress. Still am, but like you, budget has me limited now. (I bought a good barrel for cheap $$$ instead). Now I have to save for the Scope+Rings+Base and for the 'smith fees to get the gun trued/blueprinted and barrel mounted.

... and ammo, lots of ammo!