savage or remington 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I actually have all of the scopes you listed.

The two BSA's I have are not suited for anything.

The swift is serving as an acceptable stop-gap that was on the rifle when I bought it, to last until I can afford the optics I want on it.

The Mueller I have is the APT model, and is in my opinion vastly superior to the other two. It is a one piece tube, the reticle is sharp, windage/elevation knobs have solid enough clicks.

Would I recommend any of these for serious use? No for the BSA, and haven't pushed either of the others long/hard enough to say if they'll last much.

Blurplers

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. What about Leatherwood scopes. http://www.amazon.com/Leatherwood-Camputer-TACTIKAL-LART624X50TAK-Riflescope/dp/B0010YWZVM/ref=sr_1_1038?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275277971&sr=1-1038as
If not Leatherwood than I probably stick with Bushnell.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Multi-X-Adjustable-Objective-0-25MOA/dp/B002G1RPZO/ref=sr_1_1052?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275277971&sr=1-1052
Now what about the gun itself. If I want to shoot targets out to 1000yds, which gun should I start with Savage or Remington and what size barrel should I get with it? I'm looking to spent around $1000 for the gun, scope, mounts

Reaction score
I have been leaning heavily towards the savage ever since I began the search for a bolt gun. It all began when my buddy and I went to the range a few months ago. I had one of my AK variants and he brought his 25-06 Remington 700. I had never shot a scoped rifle with that nice of a trigger. I was shooting the eyes out of steel ram targets at three hundred yards (with hand loads) and it was the first time I had ever touched the rifle! I had a blast!
Granted my buddy has put a lot of time and effort into the gun and he told me every detail which I enjoyed greatly.
Which is why I am convinced the Savage FP10 is for me. Great gun out of the box. I get to feed my family and still get to play! My buddy is single. . .
I have mostly been an iron sights man but now I see the light and it is 500 yards away. . . . control your breathing. . .

Now, even though I'm more of an accumulator than a trader, I just have to decide which gun I need to sell to buy the savage and accessories.