Scariest hunt you've had

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hah^ this has got me quite a few times. also doves coming out of cedar or pine trees as im walking right next to them in the pitch black darkness. my reflexes instantly put me in a combat/karate type position ready to defend or attack. i then realize its just birds, i take a breath, calm my nerves, and slow my heart rate back down, then move on through the field where it usually happens all over again by another tree. lol

First time for me I dropped my gun, put my hands in te air and said they could have all my money.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not scared of spiders, but....
I was walking through an area overgrown with persimmon sprouts, muzzleloading season many years ago. Those great big brown, round looking spiders had webs all over the place.
I walked into one.
Back then, I had a "Duck Dynasty" - style beard, and the spider was caught between my face/beard and his web. He was trying to get out, I was freaking out.
Only time I've ever dropped my gun while hunting.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not scared of spiders, but....
I was walking through an area overgrown with persimmon sprouts, muzzleloading season many years ago. Those great big brown, round looking spiders had webs all over the place.
I walked into one.
Back then, I had a "Duck Dynasty" - style beard, and the spider was caught between my face/beard and his web. He was trying to get out, I was freaking out.
Only time I've ever dropped my gun while hunting.

I hate those damn things! they seem to make webs between the cedars in our area. I walk in with a stick now,clearing the webs out on my way in. what kind of spider are they and why just that time of year?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what kind, but they weave webs across the trails that me and wife run as well. If we are the first ones there in the morning, I end up "clearing the trail".....as long as they're not trapped on my face, I'm OK.

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a couple of experiences that have made the hair on my neck stand up.

1. Happened on the way to my stand one morning. I could hear loud grunting and a rustling in the leaves. In all honesty it sounded like two people rolling around in the leaves wrestling. I hurried up the ladder of my stand and sat down to try to locate the source of the noise. The rustling stopped, but for about the next 10-15 minutes, I could hear something moving in a circle around my stand and every now and then it would give a loud grunt like a man exhaling hard. I was sure glad I had a gun and not my bow.

The other happened in a square mile of timber that I used to hunt near the KS border. I was bowhunting and as I walked to the stand that morning there were several trees pushed down across the trail that I followed to my blind. I say pushed down because they were completely uprooted. When it got light enough to see, the only downed trees in the area were across my path. Curious, but not really scary. As we prepared to depart after our morning hunt, we were walking a ridgeline when from down in the bottom of a deep and brushy draw we could hear a tree being shaken and the strangest grumbling, mumbling sound that I have ever hear. I hauled ass to the truck.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have had a couple of experiences that have made the hair on my neck stand up.

1. Happened on the way to my stand one morning. I could hear loud grunting and a rustling in the leaves. In all honesty it sounded like two people rolling around in the leaves wrestling. I hurried up the ladder of my stand and sat down to try to locate the source of the noise. The rustling stopped, but for about the next 10-15 minutes, I could hear something moving in a circle around my stand and every now and then it would give a loud grunt like a man exhaling hard. I was sure glad I had a gun and not my bow.

The other happened in a square mile of timber that I used to hunt near the KS border. I was bowhunting and as I walked to the stand that morning there were several trees pushed down across the trail that I followed to my blind. I say pushed down because they were completely uprooted. When it got light enough to see, the only downed trees in the area were across my path. Curious, but not really scary. As we prepared to depart after our morning hunt, we were walking a ridgeline when from down in the bottom of a deep and brushy draw we could hear a tree being shaken and the strangest grumbling, mumbling sound that I have ever hear. I hauled ass to the truck.

2.bp.blogspot.com__aCfDKNVWM6k_TxDkHkA2BVI_AAAAAAAAt_o_Va9qkj0CKns_s400_matttumblr.jpg

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big spiders suck in the dark.
Walked into a web one morning without my flashlight on, felt the web on my face then I could feel this big plob on my nose, turned on the flashlight as the spider spread its legs touching my eye lids and mouth. I have NEVER been hit so hard in the face before in my life, I damn near knocked myself out with one hit, saw stars and everything.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Scouting my land in Hughes county I came across a mountain lion. He was 60ft away across one of the small ponds out there. It just looked at me for a few seconds then slowly made its way back into the tree line where I lost sight of it. Called it a day after that.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom