Scariest hunt you've had

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You duck hunters that are going out early when there is no wind and trying to cross the lake in a flat bottom boat with big wind and waves kicking up are crazy! I have never done it and swore I would walk the shore if I ever went with someone and it came up like that. One of my best friends dad died this way when I was a kid. Boat sank and everyone in it died.

Yup, lost one of my best friends on Kaw Lake when they used a flat bottom with a dog, three hunters, decoys, guns, ammo, etc.
His dad called late one evening, and we found his truck/trailer at the ramp about 10pm. Called the Sheriff, who in turn called the OHP, and ODW. We went to town, got our boat, and went looking. Just after daylight, we found Davey face down in the water with his life jacket on, but not zipped up. The others kept dragging for the other two, but they weren't found for a couple of months until the water warmed up and they floated.
Amazingly enough we kept hearing the dog bark all night. A week later he showed up at his owners house in Ponca City.

Two years later, three Doctors from Tulsa died on Kaw doing the same thing with a boat too small for the conditions.

Two years ago, another duck hunter died in the Coon creek area on Kaw. Two survived the capsized boat. He didn't.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
your right, out in a boat, flat bottom, loaded to the gills, large waves and wind, large lake. i just did not know any better. never had been in a situation like that before. smart enough not to do it a second time.

i remember back in the 70s or early 80s a lot of guys lost their lives duck hunting with boat on lake. a few died on Ollougah. seemed like someone died every winter on a lake. have not heard of it in a few years.

by the way, we have a very large boat in the story i told, but it still was very close to capsizing.

second story: i got lost one time. completely turned around on a cloudy day. made it back to the truck by dark but it was a scary and helpless feeling. kind of does something to you.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was 12, and my brother was 11. We were back in my granddads back 40, looking for tree rats in the pecan grove. My brother is about 50 feet from me to my right. We are slow stepping as to not spook the squirrels. I hear a low moan, and I though it was my brother messin with me. I loud-whisper telling him to SHUT UP!!! I hear the sound again, only this time it a growl that starts low and lasts a while longer and gets louder at the end. It was then I realized it was not my brother, and the look on his face mimiced mine. We both mouthed at the same time BOBCAT!!!!!!!! Right after that we see her.............and the 3 kits behind her!!!!!!!! When we got home and cleaned the crap out of out of our breeches, we told my granddad what happened. He said " yep she is teaching her babies to hunt squirrels, you boys are damn lucky to even be here" THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP PAPA!!! He laughed so hard we thought he was gonna choke to death.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago my FIL and I were drawn for a rifle hunt at Atoka. After sitting with no luck one morning, we decided he should go up one holler and I would go up another with a good sized ridge between us and still hunt toward a little saddle at the end of the ridge...half a mile or so. Into it about a half hour when I hear a high pitched whine and a loud whack in a tree about 20 yards away almost immediately followed by an another whack and a boom. I headed to the truck then and there. When my FIL finally shows up he asks "what did you shoot at?" Never saw another person but thinking about it I am guessing the person shot at something, hit a rock and the ricochet got to me about the same time as the rifle sound. Gotta love management area rifle hunting.

Couple years later got drawn to BP hunt Push. Couldn't cut loose to go scout it, so taking a topo map, we head for the River Road to find some acorn flats about half way down the mountain we had been told about. FIL dropped me off at one of the old clear cuts before dawn. Worked my way in a few hundred yards and backed up to a little scrub cedar to wait till I had enough light to find the acorn flats. Few minutes goes by and I hear something crashing through the chest high scrub of the clear cut...straight at me. Then, the big back shape starts grunting. Me with a one shooter and no trees to climb. Pig finally winds me at about 10 feet and runs off squealing. I ran too....for clean drawers.

Boomerdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was on a spring black bear bow hunt around the Candle Lake region of Saskatchewan on year. It was getting toward the end of legal shooting and a 300 lb + sow with two cubs came into my bait site. The cubs proceeded to climb a tree about 15 yards from my stand while mama bear surveyed the surroundings. Not wanting to be stuck in a trees stand till midnight, I started to make some sounds to get the cubs down. i finally had to stand up on the tree stand and raise holy hell to get their attention. Well, that got the cubs down, but seriously pissed off mama bear in the process. After about an hour wait, it appeared safe to get out of the stand and make my way out to the four wheeler to meet the outfitter at his truck about 5 klicks from where I was hunting. While walking out on the logging road in the pitch black with only a small flashlight, I heard noise in the brush off the trail. When I stopped and shined the light toward the noise, it was mama bear all alone. She started woofing and pooping her teeth at me. Damn near shat my pants right there. That damn sow followed me all the way out to the four wheeler staying about 25 yards away in the brush. It wasn't till I started the bike that she finally took off. After that night, I had the outfitter drive me into my stand site and pick me up when the hunt was over.

I've been on numerous spring bear hunts in various Canadian provinces. Each hunt has rendered some very interesting experiences with bears and other critters. I've had bears climb the tree and try to get in the stand, merely out of curiosity. I've been charged by moose. I even had a pissed off wolverine follow me out one night. I love to bow hunt and I love to hunt the western provinces of Canada. The experiences with the critters is well worth the price of admission. I've got some great stories to tell my grandson. Maybe someday he can experience it for himself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom