Scariest hunt you've had

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's just mean Ted! Had similar thing happen to me at Burbank Landing on Kaw, still hunting along and this guy speaks up about 10' from me. He had cleaned out under the base oc a big fallen tree, almost a little cave. I never had a clue till he spoke up.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The scariest hunt I've had was actually this year. My family recently purchased land on the eastern side of Eufaula in Muskogee county. Anyway, during the first week of bow season, I had a neighboring property owner approach me carrying a rifle wanting to know what I'm doing on "His" property when he had actually crossed on to ours. That's the first time, I've ever had anything like that happen as I take great care to always know my boundaries when I'm hunting public or private land. I've since showed him the data from the most recent land survey that was conducted in 2009 and his and his wife's response was that the survey was wrong, they were right, and that while they would allow us to occasionally hunt that part of the property, they would be continuing to do so as well...

Fence it.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a few decoys set out on the Deep Fork River the other day and was tucked up into a little spot on the edge when a couple of jackasses in a boat with a mud motor came flying around the corner shooting... shot 3 times... The last shot was right at the same time a saw them coming around the corner. About 30 yards from me and headed straight towards me. There was nothing to shoot at so I assume they were just 'unloading their gun' or something. It was about 10 minutes after legal shooting time as well.

My first thought was "I could easily blow those bastards right out of that boat about right now" but I figured I better not do that.

More irritating than scary.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was earlier this year during Bobcat season. I shot one and he dropped instantly. I walked down to retrieve my kill and he looked dead to me. I then grabbed his back legs to carry him back to the truck and he raised his head and looked back at me. I dropped him in a hurry and pulled out the 22 pistol back up and finished him.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duck hunting alone on the north end of lake OOLOGAH a few years ago with temps about 25degrees. Boating back to ramp in my 15' flatbottom boat with 20-30 mile an hour winds creating 3-4' waves. Of course I have to go to the east and waves start crashing over the side of the boat!! Eventually I have to angle to the south east until I can turn and go straight north into the wind. Nothing like feeling over half my boat airborn and slamming down into the next upcoming wave. A huge sigh of relief when I make it into the windbrake of the north shore tree line and am able to motor up DOUBLE creek with over 10" of freezing water in the bottom of the boat. Something I don't care to duplicate!

Limit of greenheads tho!!

Deano
Thanks for writing this. Only had to change two words.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was earlier this year during Bobcat season. I shot one and he dropped instantly. I walked down to retrieve my kill and he looked dead to me. I then grabbed his back legs to carry him back to the truck and he raised his head and looked back at me. I dropped him in a hurry and pulled out the 22 pistol back up and finished him.

that raised my heart rate a little just thinkin about it lol

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duck hunting at Eufaula about 30 years. Three guys and one 90 lb yellow lab. Coming out of the cove on the way home the waves were 3,4 feet. Going across the lake into the waves the engine kept dying and turning the boat sideways. time after time after time. Water coming over the sides. Dad gum lab was having the time of his life and standing on the low side of the boat making it go lower into the water taking on more water. Boat filling up with water and rocking pretty good and I thought it could sink.

So, I was preparing for boat to sink, worked my feet out of my waders, open pocket knife to cut suspenders and was pretty close to killing that lab. Now I love dogs but he was about to sink that boat any minute. Suddenly the guy got the motor working and it worked all the way back to the dock.

I have never been duck hunting again.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Twenty years ago, my hunting party of misfits won a California lottery pick for a special deer hunt. We were totally unfamiliar with the area, located in far North CA in very rugged terrain near Mt. Shasta. After a long long drive, we pulled into the area in the late afternoon and started scouting around some before making camp. Driving around the area, we stumbled onto a little abandoned apple orchard that just looked awesome for deer. My heart leaped, I jumped out of the truck with my rifle and backpack and told them to come back for me at dark. I scrambled up the first tree that I reached with my heart pounding.

Nothing walked into the orchard that evening and I eventually climbed down out of that tree. I sat under the tree for a while, got hungry, emptied a bunch of snacks out of my backpack and munched until they decided to come after me. Just about dark, I heard one of our pickups coming my way quickly. It appeared at the edge of the meadow, slamming on its brakes. No one got out or opened a door--they just sat there idling. Strange. I gathered my stuff and started walking that way. As I approached, the driver's window lowered an inch and my buddy said "Hurry" and rolled the window back up. I stood there stupidly and said, "Huh?". The window rolled back down one inch and my buddy said "Bears".

I guess that apple orchard was the local gathering spot for some very mean bears. Locals knew about it and, while I was in that tree, my buddies ran onto someone who warned them to stay out of that place after dark. I guess there was a quick meeting and some talk about just sacrificing me to the bears, but a vote was held and I was rescued instead. We went back the next day to look over the area and there were huge piles of bear scat every few paces. I mean, all over. I'd never noticed that while in that tree in the fading light.

I still get a little weak in the knees thinking about bears watching me sit under that tree eating snacks.

Last edited:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You duck hunters that are going out early when there is no wind and trying to cross the lake in a flat bottom boat with big wind and waves kicking up are crazy! I have never done it and swore I would walk the shore if I ever went with someone and it came up like that. One of my best friends dad died this way when I was a kid. Boat sank and everyone in it died.

The bears made me think about my bear hunt and I only saw 2 bears and they both climbed my tree and got a couple feet below me and watched a minute and then went back down. Oddly, I was never scared on that hunt because the guide told me to expect it so never thought of a bear story for this.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid living in northern Missouri I would roam the valley behind my dad's farm with a long bow with cedar arrows. I was walking the dirt road in the bottoms looking for deer tracks and noticed a large coon dog print. As I walked along about 30 min till dark I kept seeing the large print. I thought to myself that the print was not only bigger than most dogs but it also looked a little odd.....then I thought......it looks more like a house cat.......CAT! :yikes2:

Man the hair stood up on the back of my neck, freaked me out! I had to travel 1/2 mile to get home, in the dark without a flashlight only carrying that old bow. I walked home avoiding any trees instead staying in the middle of pastures so that nothing could jump out of a tree and get me.

As Paul Harvey said.....the rest of the story....while riding the school bus a few days later I heard some boys teasing a neighbor kid (Gary). His dad's place was at the head of the valley and he had heard the cat screaming while he was doing chores before daylight. He didn't know what it was, said it sounded like a woman screaming. He was so scared that he didn't want to do chores anymore. I told those boys what I had found on that dusty road. They sat there with eyes bugged out and mouths open :yikes2:.....and they quit teasing Gary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom