Scope for a .22 rifle???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentenza

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no scope expert, but I know that there is more than one model of Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. One of them is specifically for rimfire.

I went to Academy today to get one for $99.95, but they were out. They did have the non-rimfire version.

Personally, I'm interested now in a Leupold FX1 4x32 or a Leupold VX1 3-7x28. I wish I knew what the relative quality of these two is. i.e., given that they're about the same price, does that mean the glass in the fixed is better?

Any opinions?

Well, it might have something to do with the 4x32 fixed having a larger objective lens, 32 as opposed to 28. Because of that I would guess it has more useful optics. It gathers more light into the scope. I'm not too bright to start with, and I'm definitely not an expert in anything, but if I was picking between those two I'd take the 4x32 because I would guess that it gives a brighter sight picture and requires less light to display a decent image. On the other hand, I may be completely wrong. It would be a little fatter and might not look good on a small .22.

I did some research and sort of answered my own question about parallax. For a .22 I definitely don't want anything with a higher parallax than around 60 yards, and preferably around 50 yards, at least not for hunting. If I was shooting at targets out past 100 yards it would be different. But I don't plan on shooting at any game with a .22 rifle out at 100+ yards.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I think parallax is the primary difference between the rimfire and non-rimfire Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40's.

And, I think you're right about the 2 Leupold examples I cited, too. Even though the complexity of the variable probably costs more to make, it's probably offset by the bigger lens in the fixed.

Listen at me. Don't I sound smart.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, I went to the gun show today with the intent of coming home with a scope. I've been to about a million gunshows, but never paid any attention to scopes. Unless you're looking for NC Star or Leapers (or used Tascos), you can forget it. Bummer.

Thank goodness for the internet.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Spent a couple of "quality" hours sighting in and shooting this afternoon.
The Weaver 1-3X20 works well and fits nicely on the Henry rifle.
Shot 3 types of ammo, Federal bulk,36 gr, CCI mini mags 40 gr, some Remington hyper velocity 33 gr.
Best group was with the CCI 40 gr load. but all were acceptable and about what I expect from a improvised rest. When we get some better weather I'll set up my good bench and rest. Right now I wouldn't hesitate to go after squirrel or rabbit out to reasonable .22 range with any of the loads I tried.
I also shot a few mags of CCI shorts they also printed a decent group.

The Henry rifle is fun to shoot. It functioned 100% with every load I tried. Fit and finish on the gun are above average, the walnut stock has a great finish and stock and forearm feel great in the hand.

The only downer is the front barrel band/sight mount. While the plastic is perfectly functional it kind of cheapens the overall package.

Bottom line is that I am very happy with rifle and scope combo and would buy another Henry in a heartbeat, same for the Weaver scope.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only downer is the front barrel band/sight mount. While the plastic is perfectly functional it kind of cheapens the overall package.

Larry, go here and enter the required information. In the message box tell them you bought a Henry with plastic barrel band and sight. They will send you steel parts to replace the plastic ones. I had the same issue back in October with one I bought at Walmart and the Henry folks were eager to make it right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom