Scope for a .22 rifle???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I picked up a Henry lever action .22 rifle a few days ago. Sweet little rifle, I go the one with the big loop. It is a blast to plink with but my 48 year old eyes are not happy with the iron sights. No surprise there.
So I am going to put a scope on it.
I've kind of known it in the back of my mind but my recent research has proven that scopes made for .22s pretty well come in 2 grades of quality and price, they are either absolute crap or they are made of solid gold with pixiedust lense coatings and coated with elf tears and they are priced accordingly. They are also mostly freaking huge.
I like low power variable compact scopes on my center fire lever guns. I've got an older weaver K2.5X20 on one and Leupold VXII 1-4X20 on another one.
Is there any major downside to putting a regular rifle scope on a .22 rifle?

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only downside I've had with my Rem 597 with a scope is that my father and I where shooting at a 10 foot target and I forgot about the scope Line of sight being above the barrel by 1.5 to 2.0 inches and adjusted the scope for the drop we were seeing on the target, needless to say when we moved the target out further I just had to adjust it back. Once done we could pile the hits into a quarter size group at 100 feet.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One difference between rifle scopes and small-bore scopes is the adjustment for parallax; on a rifle scope, usually the adjustment is to minimize the effect at 150 yards or more. On a small-bore scope, it's adjusted for 50-100 yards. That may not sound like a big difference, but it can be noticeable when trying to line up on a target at 50 yards. Especially if you're using a vintage scope!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Leupold has two; FX1 4x32 fixed and VX1 2-7x28 variable, both for a little over $200.

Nikon has one; ProStaff 4x32 fixed for a little over $100.

I'd sure like to hear a real-life report from some member on these.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now academy has the prostaff 3-9x40 on sale for $99. Picked up mine monday. Its a great deal for $99, gets great reviews on opticsplanet. Make sure you get the model #6310.

I originally went to buy the nikon, but they were out of stock on the sale priced one, so I bought a BSA sweet 22 ($50) for my S&W. When I got it mounted the whole outer edge through the glass was distorted. So I took it back and they had the nikon in stock and couldn't be happier for the money spent

Latest posts

Top Bottom