Scope Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theishkid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this older '80's model Marlin Glennfield 25 .22lr. I asked for a scope for my birthday. So just my luck I end up getting two scopes. I don't know which one to keep. I'm new to rifles and very new to scopes so please help me out.

I received the Nikon Prostaff 4x32 Rimfire model, the one I asked for... As well as the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50. I had asked for the 4x32 since this is going on a .22. But a family member got me the 3-9x50 because it was on sale for $135, usually $170 and thought it would be a lot nicer scope for the money.

So in trying to find some rings for this thing today and explaining my situation to the fine folks at H&H and Outdoor America they both had the same opinion that the 3-9x50 is going to be overkill and that I should just put the 4x32 on and send the other one back. So that's my first question. Is the 3-9x50 overkill? Should I just mount the 4x32 and be done with it? I was told the 4x32 is pretty much matched to a .22 at around 50 yards while the 3-9x50 is matched to around 150 yards and I would have to do some compensating.

My second question is in regards to the ring types and a couple of problems I am having. So this rifle has a mount that seems to have several names... 3/8 dovetail, 11mm grooved, and .22 Tip Off. This has been a real pain trying to find rings for this thing. I found a couple of different sets at Walmart tonight from Weaver, lower profile that the bolt handle hit the scope so I had to take those back, then I got a set of "see-thru" mounts which brought the scope up a lot higher which I don't know if I like or not. My problem here is that the scope doesn't seem to be able to go far enough back on the gun so that when I hold the gun naturally the field of view comes completely in the scope. Does that make sense? The grooved rail does not go all the way to the back so I can't mount the scope back far enough. I have to get out of the comfortable position I have always known in order to have a full picture in the scope. Do I have any options that might be able to fix this? Like a 3/8" dovetail to weaver-style adapter? Or do I just need to re-learn how to hold this gun for shooting with a scope?

I know this is a long post but please help in any way you can. I need to know what to do so I can send one of these back. Thanks. Brad

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short answer - use the 4x32 Rimfire with low 3/8" (or rimfire) rings.

[edit - You'll see most rings listed as 1" or 30mm. That refers to the scope tube diameter]

Long answer...

The parallax for the rimfire scope is set to 50 yards (varies a little by manufacturer, i.e.: Leupold sets theirs to 60). The 3-9x50 will be set further, causing optical error when shooting at rimfire distances.

As you have already found out, the 50mm objective on the bigger scope means you have to use higher rings, which can make for an awkward shooting position (because the scope is mounted so high).

Dovetail rings come in 3/8" or 11mm. European guns (like Anschutz) use 11mm, and American is 3/8". You need 3/8". "Tip-off" rings are style. You can get 11mm tip-offs and 3/8" tip-offs. All tip-off means is that a side plate is tightened with a screw to hold the scope on to the dovetail.

Some rimfires (like my Browning BL-22) have very shallow dovetails. They work better with "rimfire" tip-offs like the Weavers you get from Wal-Mart. They're just a little sharper and get a better bite on the shallow dovetail. I wouldn't use them unless I had to.

They do make 3/8" to weaver adapters for the Marlin.

http://www.marlin60.com/shop/index.php?productID=3

theishkid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the very informative answer. That helps a lot, I will be sending back the 3-9x50. So my problem now is that I have these low weaver 3/8" rings that aren't high enough and make the receiver handle hit the back of the scope. So I guess I'm going to have to get some medium height rings.

My second problem is still that the scope is almost too far forward on the gun making it awkward to look through the scope. I wonder if that adapter rail would help with that.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the very informative answer. That helps a lot, I will be sending back the 3-9x50. So my problem now is that I have these low weaver 3/8" rings that aren't high enough and make the receiver handle hit the back of the scope. So I guess I'm going to have to get some medium height rings.

My second problem is still that the scope is almost too far forward on the gun making it awkward to look through the scope. I wonder if that adapter rail would help with that.

i know this may sound silly but can you slide the scope back and solve both problems? or are you out of scope tube room to move. if so, the rail adaptor may be the ticket

theishkid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know this may sound silly but can you slide the scope back and solve both problems? or are you out of scope tube room to move. if so, the rail adaptor may be the ticket

Yea that's what I was trying to imply but being new and not knowing all the terms gave me a little bit of language block I think. I was out of room on the receiver to go back any further. I did however find a nice little set of rings at bass pro today. It brought the the scope up about an 1/8th an inch higher and gives the handle enough room underneath it. The rings are also slightly thinner allowing me to move the scope back a little... not as much as I want, but it will probably do. I can't wait to sight this thing in. Thanks for your help everybody.

Latest posts

Top Bottom