Self checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well sir, as someone who hires folks regularly I must wish you the best of luck should you try to hire someone for ten dollars an hour. You will not like what that buys you.

A lot of people do not understand that labor is a commodity, just like gas, electricity or raw goods. The price goes up, the price goes down. Right now the price is up, and employees have the upper hand. It's kinda nice to watch, to be honest. Companies that would take advantage of fat labor markets and treat employees poorly are now getting a big bite of an excrement sandwich.
I'm sure that's true in a lot of companies. It's also true that more people feel entitled and want to be paid more for doing less work. Take a couple of the guys on here "working" from home for example. They spend more time posting here than they do working. I realize my opinions aren't popular with some folks and they're worth exactly what I'm paid for them. How much do you think someone standing at a cash register scanning groceries should start at per hour?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at one of the 'big box hardware' stores. We just had inventory --- wanna guess what we lost this previous year? Almost $1.5 million, just in one store! And, that's with way more stuff locked up than last year.

The laws are on the books to deal with this. It's just that the system refuses to do much about it.

The "problem" is, the system doesn't do much on <$1000 theft.

At one point, the majority of theft was employees. With the advent of "don't confront", customer(sic) theft has soared.

All self checkout and card only, no cash is just another knee jerk reaction to make managers and stock holders feel good.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure that's true in a lot of companies. It's also true that more people feel entitled and want to be paid more for doing less work. Take a couple of the guys on here "working" from home for example. They spend more time posting here than they do working. I realize my opinions aren't popular with some folks and they're worth exactly what I'm paid for them. How much do you think someone standing at a cash register scanning groceries should start at per hour?
According to Sofi (the finance company) - cost of living in Oklahoma rate is 18.58.
I'd say 12-13 bucks for an entry-level job, with opportunity to move up.

Keep in mind 18.58 is just enough.

Now let's think about it this way - if an employer is willing to pay less that enough to barely get by, how much effort should a worker put in for that amount?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They always claim self-serve and self-checkout is to keep prices down.
But magically prices always go up.

IMHO, self-checkout is not to eliminate jobs, but job OPENINGS.

Openings that can't be filled because of constant turnover, caused by company and management treatment or lack of appreciation of workers. Pay has little to do with the equation.

I have left well paying jobs because of chitty managers and lack of appreciation.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
According to Sofi (the finance company) - cost of living in Oklahoma rate is 18.58.

Now let's think about it this way - if an employer is willing to pay less that enough to barely get by, how much effort should a worker put in for that amount?
A worker should put out 100% or quit regardless of the pay they agreed to when they were hired. That's called integrity and work ethic. Both are on the decline. People have the ability to better themselves if they make the right choices in life. You should be appropriately compensated for the skill and knowledge you bring to the job. What line of work are you in, what jobs do you hire for, and what is the starting salary for the bottom tier position?

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I had more than a few jobs growing up that paid "less than enough to barely get by". That did not have any effect on the effort I put forth though, my pride in doing the best job I could prevented me from doing any less than 100% no matter what the pay was.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Enough to take care of the wet diapered boomers that can't handle scanning their own items?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Openings that can't be filled because of constant turnover, caused by company and management treatment or lack of appreciation of workers. Pay has little to do with the equation.

I have left well paying jobs because of chitty managers and lack of appreciation.

I agree with you, but I also think pay is a significant part of the equation.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Understood. It all factors in. Good people are hard to find and incentives for not working don't help. People have free will in this country for the time being for the most part. Many choose not to work, some choose to quit for various reasons, and some do the best they can do at whatever endeavor they take on. Some employers pay well and appreciate their workers. Others don't and have constant turnover, poor service, and other problems. Capitalism is still the best system in the world. If it were up to me, able bodied people who choose not to work wouldn't eat but I'm sure that's not a popular opinion. Many of us here have worked many years and have all the answers or so I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom