Self Defense loads for wife's concealed carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has already applied for her CCW and will be carrying a 5 round Taurus 650 (.357 magnum, no hammer, CTC laser grips). I have been wondering what would be the best type of loads to put into it for her. Oddly, I don't find that the recoil from a .357 mag is all that punishing in this revolver and although it will ultimately come down to how she feels about the power of the round, I have a strong feeling that she will be comfortable with it.

I had a conversation with a gentleman the other day who recommended alternating shot shells with bullets and I was wondering what anyone's thoughts or opinions on this might be.

A tentative arrangement is to go shot, bullet, shot, bullet, bullet.

I like the idea of the shot shells because I feel that it might give my wife an advantage if she were jumped and in a situation where she was not able to get a picture-perfect target picture, but I worry about what stray pellets might do. I feel that the lasergrip mitigates this situation because she doesn't need to line up her sights but just needs to locate the "pretty red dot" (as she puts it).

On the other hand, if the first shot resulting in the peppering of the perp proves ineffective, a full power .357 would certainly be effective if her aim was true, and if she needed a quick follow up shot, the 3 round (which would be a shot shell) could allow her to achieve a quick follow up shot after the .357.

I might be way over-thinking this though. LOL.

Having never fired a shot shell before, does anyone know what the spread pattern would look like from a 2" snubbie at say, 20 feet? If its too wide, then it seems like it would not be effective for carry due to innocent 3rd parties who may be in close proximity to all this drama.

Again, probably over thinking this.....
I agree with Glocktogo and Okie98. .38spl or the .38+P would be perfect for your wife.

csmestorga

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot quite a few of the .357 shot shells, powerful enough to kill a mouse at 6 ft, that's about it. I concur with several of the other posters on ammo choice, but here are some alternatives that I'd use in a small .357. If shes not confident with .357s, def go with the +ps or 38s.
I'm one of the only proponents of the starfires, but I would carry them. Accurate and soft shooting. I've always had good luck with expansion. Hydrashoks would be an option, I carry them in my 9mm all the time. Call me old school but I like silver tips as well. If you can find them, she might go for them in .357 even. As usual, GDs and GSs are at the top of the list. My .357 is loaded with 125g remington- the good ole scalloped jacket lead tip jhp, but then again, it's an N frame. Quite a hand-torch in a snubby!

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speer .38+P 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel for the entire cylinder.

The only time I'd drop a shotshell in a carry revolver would be the 1st chamber if I was out hiking and more likely to run across a poisonous snake than a bad guy. pistol shotshells have pellets too small to even be considered effective on small game, so I certainly wouldn't want to shoot an attacker with one.

+1 for the Speer Gold Dots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom