Senate Committee Advances Bill Clarifying Open Carry Rifle Handling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a small infringement...
___
Funny thing how those small infringements grow ...

There is already a law prohibiting brandishing. Carrying a pistol in your hand is no different than carrying a rifle in your hands. Either case can be considered brandishing. Slung or holstered can't be - even if a hand is placed on the rifle to stabilize it. Just don't point it unless you intend to use it in a lawful manner.

Then there is the case of carrying a rifle while hunting. Would every hunter carrying their rifle in their hands while hunting be susceptible to being charged with a violation of that law? Would it be different than hunting with a pistol?

This proposed law would be another step in the wrong direction.

Woody

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't help that a member of the 2ndA Org supports it.

"Don Spencer of the Oklahoma 2nd Amendment Association thanking Senator Paxton for working on the language of the bill saying, “The concern was that firearms are being carried horizontal and so if the strap is up on your shoulder its more likely to be in a position and not what we call a ready position to where a person could just swing and shoot, which is a concern for law enforcement.”"

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont see how legislation prevents stupidity any time someone unsafely carries any firearm.
You aint a special forces operator in Kabul or Bagdhad, so dont try to look like it in everyday public. If you are securing an area or your farm property carry how you see fit, but going to businesses to shop, if you just gotta carry, fine, sling it safely on your shoulder or over your back, but be cool.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't help that a member of the 2ndA Org supports it.

"Don Spencer of the Oklahoma 2nd Amendment Association thanking Senator Paxton for working on the language of the bill saying, “The concern was that firearms are being carried horizontal and so if the strap is up on your shoulder its more likely to be in a position and not what we call a ready position to where a person could just swing and shoot, which is a concern for law enforcement.”"
Don Spencer worked with the author of the bill to clean up language that was ridiculous and would have made open carry of rifles or shotguns virtually impossible. If a law has to be instituted, I want it to be as logical as possible and having Don there to work with the legislature to do that is a major positive in my eyes--enough that I'm renewing my OK2A membership as soon as I finish this post!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem with is if you go into a store and buy a said long gun( say a used long gun that doesnt come in a box) and it dont have a sling on it are you going to get fined when you carry it out to your vehicle in your hands. Cause i have done this several times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom