Shooting at H&H

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was there yesterday at 6 pm, there were cops everywhere, EMT, paramedics, but the employees didn't bat & eye, & helped me buy a gun,

just going to edit my original post, because every opinion but my own is correct...

Roadkill Coyote

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel bad for the guy. But I feel worse for the folk who found him, or anybody who might have been walking in there with their kids. Putting the clean-up on someone else and traumatizing others is utterly unacceptable.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cousin, not even 10 years older than me, spent much of his childhood under the care of my parents. I was the oldest of 3 boys, so he was as close to a big brother as I was ever going to get. Even when my parents no longer had custody, he spent quite a bit of his time at our house, as my parents always made sure he was welcome. Much of my personality was influenced by him, as was my brothers and his nephew. He was one of the biggest role models the four of us had.

He suffered from depression for too many years. Took countless medicines, spoke with several doctors. He had everything a man could want to have -- a secure, well-paying job, no debt, a beautiful wife, happy, beautiful kids, a nice home, great friends and even better family. He did everything he enjoyed doing -- hunting, fishing, riding his motorcycle. On paper, he had absolutely nothing to be depressed about, but that's where the ignorance to depression kicks in. Despite having a picture picture life, he was in pain and suffered for many years, even though he had a strong support system and all the professional help that was offered.

A little over two years ago, he went to Draper Lake and put a shotgun in his mouth. Depression is a serious illness and one that doctors are still struggling to combat. This isn't like scraping your knee where you can tell someone to, as someone above put it, "get over your problems", brush off the dirt and get back into the game of life. While I'm not personally offended, it's offensive that some label these people cowards. They've hurt for far too long. In my cousin's case, he tried for over a decade to get help, yet he hurt the entire time. Can you imagine being consumed by something so dark every single day of your life? I couldn't begin to. I don't believe my cousin is a coward as he fought away the pain every single day, yet it was a fight he couldn't win.

It hurt then and it still hurts now to think about what happened, but the only solace my family can harvest from this situation is knowing that he's no longer putting himself in pain just so we have comfort in his existence. For us to ask him for even one more day would be selfish on our part.

To the friends and family of the individual today at H&H, I know exactly what they're going through. It hurts, and I hope the individual exhausted all other options before deciding that this is the best way to handle it. I hope they find peace in the fact that he is no longer suffering, but it's going to be a tough hill for them to climb. I wish them them, and everyone else in this situation, the best.

Sounds like a guy I worked with a few years ago.... I didn't know as a buddy.. but he was always a great guy to be around.. It was just so out of left field.. I can understand the reasons why some take that path... Yet on the flip side I cant understand... As someone else had stated..Suicide in most cases is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought. Do you think asking the question, "have you ever had thoughts of suicide?" before renting the gun would help stop this? I mean actually having to face someone and lie right before you plan to do the act would be pretty hard I would think.

But if they did then do it wouldn't you feel guilty about having possably given them the idea?

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
68mustang said:
Just a thought. Do you think asking the question, "have you ever had thoughts of suicide?" before renting the gun would help stop this? I mean actually having to face someone and lie right before you plan to do the act would be pretty hard I would think.

If a person has made up their mind to end things, a simple question like that won't stop anything. I

Latest posts

Top Bottom