Shooting with monovision contact lenses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am now wearing "monovision" contact lenses. For those not in the know, this is a technique used to correct the onset of farsightedness caused by age. It involves backing off the corrective power of one contact lens to improve close-in vision at the cost of long-distance vision. In short, I am wearing one contact lens for nearsightedness, and one for farsightedness.

The brain manages to meld the two images into a functional whole, once the adjustment period passes (which can take a week or two). The only downsides are a small loss in depth perception (which nearsighted folks suffer from already) and a loss of sharpness at extreme distances.

My question involves monovision and shooting. Under normal circumstances, monovision places the distance lens on the dominant eye, but I asked my optometrist to place the close-in lens on my dominant instead.

For the first time in years, I can now see sight-picture as God intended - with the front post clearly in focus, and the target slightly blurred. I have high hopes this will improve my shooting, especially in bullseye competitions.

It's only been a couple of days, so time will tell if I can successfully adapt. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but a little dry-fire practice suggests this might work for me. Has anyone else tried this approach (or know someone who has?) What was your result?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried monovision contacts several years ago. Unfortunately I found that I had issues at matches with dust, drying eyes and comfort. So I switched to a pair of monovision shooting glasses I had made by my local optometrist. I had them made the same way, with the dominant close-up lens. Works very well for what I do.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience is similar to Glocktogo's. I found that using contacts for extended periods outside, especially in our Oklahoma wind, sun and dust, too uncomfortable to be useful.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fortunately, I am a contact lens veteran, and I'm comfortable with them whether I am indoors or out. The monovision, however, is brand new to me. So far, it's been three days, two of which were spent driving to Alabaster Caverns for some wild caving. No problems so far. Might get to the gun range in a couple of days, so we will see (so to speak...).

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am now wearing "monovision" contact lenses. For those not in the know, this is a technique used to correct the onset of farsightedness caused by age. It involves backing off the corrective power of one contact lens to improve close-in vision at the cost of long-distance vision. In short, I am wearing one contact lens for nearsightedness, and one for farsightedness.

The brain manages to meld the two images into a functional whole, once the adjustment period passes (which can take a week or two). The only downsides are a small loss in depth perception (which nearsighted folks suffer from already) and a loss of sharpness at extreme distances.

My question involves monovision and shooting. Under normal circumstances, monovision places the distance lens on the dominant eye, but I asked my optometrist to place the close-in lens on my dominant instead.

For the first time in years, I can now see sight-picture as God intended - with the front post clearly in focus, and the target slightly blurred. I have high hopes this will improve my shooting, especially in bullseye competitions.

It's only been a couple of days, so time will tell if I can successfully adapt. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but a little dry-fire practice suggests this might work for me. Has anyone else tried this approach (or know someone who has?) What was your result?

This should work for you or you could get an external diopter that fits on your shooting glasses. For target rifles they make diopter lenses for the rear sight that focus on the front sight. Very common amongst target shooters... you are on the right path, just figure out what works best for you.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This should work for you or you could get an external diopter that fits on your shooting glasses. For target rifles they make diopter lenses for the rear sight that focus on the front sight. Very common amongst target shooters... you are on the right path, just figure out what works best for you.

Thanks for the tip HMFIC. I didn't know that. I'm going to look into it. I knew there was a reason I joined this board. :)

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip HMFIC. I didn't know that. I'm going to look into it. I knew there was a reason I joined this board. :)

No worries. I should be clearer in my terms... the diopter is actually the sight type, but you can get a corrective lens to fit inside them.

Here's a good article on them. You can even get them for AR type sights now as well.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/microsight-technology-for-iron-sights/

And here are some for match type sights:

http://www.gehmann.com/pages-en/pro...ipment / rearsight irises with magnifier&id=1

Camo365girl

New to the site!
Reaction score
Fortunately, I am a contact lens veteran, and I'm comfortable with them whether I am indoors or out. The monovision, however, is brand new to me. So far, it's been three days, two of which were spent driving to Alabaster Caverns for some wild caving. No problems so far. Might get to the gun range in a couple of days, so we will see (so to speak...).
Hello, I just joined the group. I am a hunter and do very well with deer, turkey, etc. However, with doves and duck hunting, I am a mess. I wear mono vision contact lenses and I am convinced that is the problem. I am going back to my optometrist next week and am considering bifocal contact lenses. How are you doing with your new contacts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom