short stroke piston vs. DI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok well I'm only interested in AR 15 style rifles, and Sig 556 (unless someone has a suggestion other wise) but thanks for that lesson.
Weight is not an issue, I jumped a saw around Iraq for a year and it is still my favorite man portable weapon.

As for the parts issue if neither Sig or rock river can't make a product that can take a beating, and honor their warranty if something breaks that's a big problem.

As for the sound issue: if I have to go loud with it it won't be from a sniper hide?

Thanks though dustingaunder I'm trying to see if someone cam talk me out of it.
Next try. Anyone have a suggestion for one of the two, or one I haven't thought of?

Hey its your money dude, and it seems you have made your decision to go down a particular path. I will just say if your going to get a piston system you would be a tool if you dont buy an HK.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DI - runs hotter and dirtier.

Piston, cooler and cleaner, but more moving parts.

AK's are long-stroke (I think), and uber-reliable. I have only owned one DI, a good one, and 3 piston. 2POF .308's ( short stroke) and a PWS ( long stroke, ak style) in an AR pistol.

I love the piston systems I have used, with kudos to the ak style of the PWS.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been pointed out to me that I am not following my own guidelines with regard to questions put forth by other members. Further, it has also been mentioned that my tone is not conducive to the free flow of information. On that note I request that the op allow me to ask my standard question for anybody seeking advice about the AR FOW.

What is your intended purpose for this gun, and to what standards do you expect it to perform?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really not trying to be that guy, but like the AK, M1, and B.A.R. the Mini-14's op rod is one piece and travels with the bolt the entire length of cycle. Making it a long stroke gas impingment system, just like through above mentioned firearms. It doesn't travel very far because the cartridge is small, but it does not meet the criteria of a short stroke piston system.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So its time to get a new rifle and I'm trying to decide on a short stroke piston (Sig 556 or rock river pds) or a regular (DI) AR 15. This is going to be an SBR which is why I'm looking at the piston driven with the folding stock. I'm wanting to make an informed decision rather than an emotional one. Is there anyone who can speak intelligently on this subject?

Buy Draco, SBR it, add stock.
No need to shoe-horn AR-15 into something it ain't.
greenandbrass.com_SBR_10.jpg

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy Draco, SBR it, add stock.
No need to shoe-horn AR-15 into something it ain't.
greenandbrass.com_SBR_10.jpg

I would second that recommendation.
For the record, if you have to have a piston, get a gun designed around that system. My earlier comment about the HK was tongue in cheek. I like the scar system, and will have a 17 some day, but there isnt an AR piston system made which competes favorably against proper built DI system, especially considering the cost. That is unless you have some aversion to cleaning your gun since they are so dirty or have a desire for your bolt to be cool enough to touch after a string of fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom