short stroke piston vs. DI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heavier, more moving parts, non standard parts, parts not readily available, louder suppressed, oh you were looking for benefits. My bad.

If 6 more ounces is too heavy for you, you might try a small stick for your defensive weapon.
The other drawbacks are true.
Make sure you don't add any lights, lasers, scopes, reddots, magnifiers, heavier railed handguards,
It might be too heavy for you.

Check out PWS or an XCR.
Or you can sack up and get a FAL.

bigmoose

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone is mostly anti piston. Anyone have an opinion on the Sig 566. It's not a shoehorned AR, and I'm looking for 5.56 so Drago is out. Xcr and pws are out of my price range. So I guess this is the big question, are the piston rifles any less reliable?

Reason

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 556, and I don't have any reliability issues. Honestly, I like the thing. The only downside is the huge availability of after market parts for AR platform that don't necessarily port over to the 556 platform. So after market parts are a but more tricky.

I really wanted the 516 when a 556 became available. I've since grown to really like that 556, and at some point would like to get it cut down and turned into a SBR.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They make Dracos in 5.56. I think maybe they call them something else. Another option is the Kel Tec PLR-16. You can bolt the under-folding stock from a SU-16C on it, and it makes quite the light weight, thin, and concealable package. It is a long stroke gas piston, FWIW. Another option is the FN FS-2000.

Last edited:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If 6 more ounces is too heavy for you, you might try a small stick for your defensive weapon.
The other drawbacks are true.
Make sure you don't add any lights, lasers, scopes, reddots, magnifiers, heavier railed handguards,
It might be too heavy for you.

Check out PWS or an XCR.
Or you can sack up and get a FAL.

Heavier =\= Heavy. I blame the public school system.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had some hands on experience with a Ruger SR556. It is a decent weapon. Defintely front heavy, the BCG stays cleaner, the gas block gets ass hot, pretty accurate, I felt a bigger recoil impulse probably due to more weight moving back and then forward, minor carrier tilt, not able to swap rails/handguards easily if at all. I'm sticking with the DI system but I understand that doesn't mean everyone else has to. Its your money, do with it what you will!

Mykah

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Sig 516 and I love it. Actually got rid of my RRA DI because I like the Sig so much better. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in the weight...

Latest posts

Top Bottom