Shotgun recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I need some help here guys. I have a friend who is in a wheelchair and wants to try shotguns. His goal is to primarily shoot trap and skeet at the local range but also has access to be able to go goose hunting so there may be a little bit of that. He has a budget of $1,000 on the very top end and preferably would spend less to be able to help with ammo. Most of my shotgun experience is with vintage type shotguns so I have admittedly not paid much of attention to modern offerings. With the type of shooting that he is wanting to do and being in a wheelchair I believe a pump gun is less than ideal for him. I personally think that a semi-auto would be best suited for him to help with weight and have a bit more versatility for other disciplines if he chooses to.

So what is a good go to shotgun nowadays given what I have said above? It would need to have interchangeable choke tubes and be able to shoot steel shot. Maybe something that is fairly soft shooting and probably not something that is ridiculously heavy either.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I Love my A5 Browning and never had any issues with them.
Some barrels you can shoot steel from.
When I go to the range I see many people with new shotguns that have all kinds of issues chambering or ejecting.
Makes me love the A5 even more.

But I have never seen an upper tier shotgun in action either.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a Browning Citori for the last 40 years. Two features you want are screw in chokes and auto ejector of the shells. I use my field model for hunting, sporting clays, wobble trap/trap, and skeet for the last 40 years without a repair or failure.

This is going to put him in the Charles Daily or other less expensive O/Us, I’d save another $500ish and buy a better quality shotgun. The Daily I had shot high and was cut for rising birds, I didn’t like that although you can get used to it.

The O/Us have many advantages in the field with your selector switch as I’m sure you know. Start out with your tight choke and switch as the birds come closer to your open choke. If you reload you can save money by downloading your shot to 3/4 ounce and less power and shoot all day (same with pump).

If he doesn’t shoot much the cheaper guns are fine but they aren’t anywhere the quality of your top O/Us.

I love my A5s as well but never brought any more birds back than with my O/U…. I lalway shot too many rounds at the birds at too long of range but that’s just me.

When I know I only have 2 shots I slow down and concentrate better.

The recoil operated A5s are awesome in the blind though much mor reliable that a gas operated gun in extreme conditions and water.IMO but a great choice for an auto, less ideal for variable shooting into decoys and pass shooting as the season goes on and they come to look but are spooky with one choke.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 20ga Beretta A400 upland with the recoil reducing stock is the softest shooting shotgun I’ve ever shot, it’s plenty light too, light enough to carry for hours on end without hating it, sling or not. It’s also beautiful to look at.

it’s slightly over his budget, I snagged mine new for a couple bucks over $1300 if I remember right. With a little luck he might be able to find a used one for less. There might be a cheaper model that fits the bill too.
74061FFC-D926-4019-982A-432A75AE9A19.jpeg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The A5 is my go-to bird and clay gun but that is also what I grew up shooting and shoot the best of what I have. I just figured I would ask here to get alternate opinions but it is funny that the same gun got mentioned early on. He has actually sent me a link to two of those in the $800 range.

On the A5 if it's barrel is marked special steel that means it can shoot steel shot correct?

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure it is if it’s a Japanese model as they have better steal than the more collectible Belgian models. Shot quite a bit out of mine as I loan it and it’s one of my extra guns I bring if one of us have a failure. I do like the extended chokes as they pattern better as the more modern Invector plus models.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
If 20 gauge is an option, the Franchi Affinity 3 is a hell of a gun for the price. My wife shoots one for sporting clays and I've shot it as well. Super light and recoil is negligible. Beretta A300 if 12 gauge is needed.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your right about Franchi being light. My two favorite upland guns were a 20ga Franchi and a browning upland special O/U weighing 5 pounds. They were a dream to carry for hours in the field. Wish I still had the Browning.

The other is an Ithaca model 37 in 12 ga, man those were light and would about pump itself😄 That one had a poly choke, didn’t like the look but dialing in your choke before screw ins were flat awesome 😎

Its really durability aluminum vs steel, the browning was steel and much more durable.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the A5 if it's barrel is marked special steel that means it can shoot steel shot correct?
Nope not at all. My 1962 Sweet 16 is marked special steel and it's most definitely not rated for steel shot. For the A5 you will need to be in the newer models with screw in chokes. Pretty sure those are all Miroku made guns. As much as I love the old Auto-5s I'd probably lean towards a Beretta gas gun or an older Remington 1100 if steel shot is required.

Latest posts

Top Bottom