Should every felony conviction be a life sentence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VladdDImpaler

Marksman
Reaction score
At the time of the second amendment, murderers, rapists, and violent criminals were swiftly executed to the question was moot.

Heck, back in those days you could be hanged for pick-pocketing or stealing bread. If not hanged, sometimes the punishment was penal servitude or placement in the armed forces.

Ijphater

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that it wasn't addressed. It wasn't addressed because they didn't imagine a time when criminal punishment wouldn't be severe.

If stealing had capital punishment as a option like it did back then, don't you think there would be a second thought before robbing someone?
If rape could be punishable by death or castration do you think we would have more rapes or less?

If punishment is real and severe, and there are no chances past strike two, you eliminate a lot of evil that persists under our current system.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If said offender serves his/her time - end of sentence, not parole - then rights, all rights should be restored. Most of the "repeat" offenders are re-violating before the first "sentence" is even completed. I agree with earlier posts, if things were as they should be, this wouldn't be an issue.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't do the time don't do the crime. It's pretty simple. What happened to taking responsibility for yourself? If I didn't know better I'd think I was reading posts on some left wing discussion board.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can't do the time don't do the crime. It's pretty simple. What happened to taking responsibility for yourself? If I didn't know better I'd think I was reading posts on some left wing discussion board.

+1(BAZILLION)....

Not sure where all of the love for convicts is coming from on this board, you can spin it anyway you want with as many scenarios as you can make up. Plain and simple, they were convicted of a felony, if you don't like the consequences of that, then don't do the act. My limited experience with the judicial system showed that there seemed to be a lot of latitude in bargaining the charges down to lesson the first timer impact as well.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the time of the second amendment, murderers, rapists, and violent criminals were swiftly executed to the question was moot.

Beccaria had already railed against capital punishment, and people were supporting him.

During the 18th century in America there was already a move away from capital punishment. From the Bloody Laws you could get hanged for 222 different crimes in England, and many were very petty offenses.

Not too long after the ratification of the BoR, Pennsylvania repealed the death penalty for all offenses except first degree murder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom