Silica Gel Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for fun, I shot some of my. Grandpas old 'Western' .22 ammo that was purchased (probably) in the 70's. Had TG&Y price sticker on or for $0.17

Shot it last year and it went 50/50

I also shot bulk .45 that my Dad had from when he entered the Military (60's). Same thing, shot 100% (except for the occasional 1911 malfunction, lol)

Both were stored loose in an attic for decades.

ritchurd.price

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got about 2000 rounds in from Freedom Munitions, and yes I have been using examination gloves to repackage them. Since the majority of air is removed and its winter with very little humidity, you're probably right about not needing silica gel. I'll try it again without silica gel and see how it goes

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will go and say waste of time but I waste time on many things.
I also shot ammo from the 80's left in terrible conditions and in and out of the model 94 many times,, it actually was looking a little green.
Probably from being dropped and handled for almost 30 years
But that beat up weathered dinked green ammo shot better groups than new ammo I got in 2009.
Under 2" compared to 9" for new Remington ammo.

I say stick it in mason jars with the vacuum bags heat jars in microwave and load ,, when they cool they will pull a seal on them.

Then wrap in heavy foil burry it in area's that you will need it in a SHTF situation.

My best wine ever was a 3 month burial in a deep hole mason jar wrapped in foil buried with rock on top, so when I dig it up I hit the rock first not the jar.
Just sayin'.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will go and say waste of time but I waste time on many things.
I also shot ammo from the 80's left in terrible conditions and in and out of the model 94 many times,, it actually was looking a little green.
Probably from being dropped and handled for almost 30 years
But that beat up weathered dinked green ammo shot better groups than new ammo I got in 2009.
Under 2" compared to 9" for new Remington ammo.

I say stick it in mason jars with the vacuum bags heat jars in microwave and load ,, when they cool they will pull a seal on them.

Then wrap in heavy foil burry it in area's that you will need it in a SHTF situation.

My best wine ever was a 3 month burial in a deep hole mason jar wrapped in foil buried with rock on top, so when I dig it up I hit the rock first not the jar.
Just sayin'.
Swampratt, did you mean to microwave the loaded ammo? Not a good idea, depending on the microwave, some metals get hotter than others, and could result in a lot of glass fragments flying around in and out of the Microwave.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry I leave out punctuations.
Notice I say heat jars in microwave and load.
If you are well,,, I hate to say it... not bright enough to know better than to heat ammo in a nuker maybe you should not be playing with ammo.

Kind of funny.. sorry I know wea are all bright enough to figure this one out,, but maybe there are some that can't.

Remember the guy that blew a fuse in his truck and replaced it with a 22 bullet and it supposedly went off.
Funny stuff.
I will try better to use more coma's and periods when I type.

Oh and maybe some capitol letters.
I am worse with paper and crayon,,UUHHH I mean pencil :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom