Singer missing after OK duck hunting trip; one person found dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this singer or group, but offer prayers for all concerned.

Craig Strickland missing after deadly hunting trip, wife asks for prayers

Craig Strickland’s wife is praying for his safe return after the country music star went missing following a hunting trip that killed his friend.
“Craig is still missing. The search has been called for the night. It will resume again in the morning with a sonar boat. Still need prayers,” Helen Strickland posted on Twitter late Monday.
Earlier she wrote that her husband's dog had been found alive: “Craig’s dog Sam has been found. His boat has been confirmed as being capsized. They are still searching for Craig. Please keep praying.”
The Backroad Anthem lead singer, 29, had been on a duck hunting trip at Kaw Lake in Oklahoma with his friend Chase Marland, 22, when a storm broke out. When the pair failed to return, authorities searched the lake and found their boat capsized, along with Marland's body.
Sheriff Joel Kerns said rescuers also are searching for a man whose vehicle was swept off a flooded county road...

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/12/29/craig-strickland-missing-wife-asks-for-prayers/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That will make 9 duck hunters that have died on Kaw lake.
The lake runs mostly north to south for 38 miles. When the wind picks up the waves become huge.
My thoughts go out to their families.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like when the wind started to pick up a person would head straight for the shore. I've never been in that situation though.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prayers for the both of them and their families! Sad sad news :(
Hate to say it but storms don't just "break out". They tempted fate and terribly it appears they lost. Bad thing about these N/S lakes....wind makes huge rollers that our small duck boats don't handle well.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prayers for the both of them and their families! Sad sad news :(
Hate to say it but storms don't just "break out". They tempted fate and terribly it appears they lost. Bad thing about these N/S lakes....wind makes huge rollers that our small duck boats don't handle well.

Yeah there wasn't any freak breakout with this weekend's storms. Terrible situation, but no way would you catch me out in a boat with a dog in a storm with the temp like it was this weekend. Sorry for his family. Both of their families.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw on the news this evening the last text the buddy sent out was that if they didn't make it back, it was because they were going duck hunting during the Goliath storm. Premonition I guess?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw on the news this evening the last text the buddy sent out was that if they didn't make it back, it was because they were going duck hunting during the Goliath storm. Premonition I guess?

Sounds like they knew it was a stupid idea and decided to do it anyways. Kinda a "hold my beer" moment. Of course, who knows if the rumor about that text is true or not? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't make it any less sad, but people DO do some not-so-bright things in the pursuit of recreation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't believe the text is a rumor. Its being reported on national TV.

The dog was found with the friend of the singer, and wouldn't leave according to the family that is here and helping with the search.

The family walked 4 miles of shoreline today with the dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom